We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

atlanta
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

We'll be driving from Atlanta to D.C. via 85/95 and want to stay overnight in Greensboro since it seems to be about halfway. Any recommendations for relatively inexpensive, clean hotels? In looking at the map, it seems that 85 and 40 are the same road for a while? Then there is a business I-85. Can anyone recommend some convenient places to stay? I don't want to have to go too far off I-85, but price is a consideration. Thanks!

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

There are numerous motels near the airport (usually all chains) which will be accessible from I 85 if you leave I 85 at Lexington and go north on Rt. 52 and then east on I 40 from Winston-Salem. Check on Greensboro hotels on this window at the upper left corner. Have a safe trip.

Greensboro, NC
Level Contributor
974 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

P. S. When you leave Greensboro on I 40 it meets I 85 again on the east side of Greensboro.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

There is no need to leave I-85. Just east of Greensboro in McLeansville is a Hampton Inn that would work.

…hilton.com/en/…index.html

Clemmons, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina, Winston Salem
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

Yeah, you don't want to go towards the airport, as it's quite a bit out of the way. I'd suggest staying on I-85 past Greensboro and going on to McLeansville as mentioned above, or on to Burlington, where you'll find most hotel chains represented. They also have budget hotels like Red Roof and Microtel. There are few hotels (if any) along I-85 around Greensboro, as it is a relatively new section that doesn't have a lot of development yet. So unless you particularly want to stay in Greensboro for some reason, you'll make much better time by going past it and staying a bit down the road.

5. Re: Driving from Atlanta to D.C.- overnight stay recs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:41