We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

relocating with 2 teens and know nothing!!! help...

east of the...
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Topic
relocating with 2 teens and know nothing!!! help...

Ok, so one is just about 12 and the other just about 15...basically two teens.

Anyway....my husband through me for a loop telling me that we may relocate to NC to either the Greensboro or Wake Forest areas. (I won't have a choice..it will depend on which job he ends up with)

Anyway...I am very unfamiliar with the area. I grew up in upstate NY and lived in Cincinnati for a year. I loved both of those areas.

Schools are my first priority. I would like public, but will do private. I have read that Grimsley HS is great. (I posted about that specifically a few minutes ago)

I am hoping for an active community with lots to offer for our family. We love sports, outdoor activites, (lakes?), communities with lots of family friendly happenings, cultural activities, movies, etc. We will also be looking for a catholic church.

Our housing budget will be under 300,000.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE any input!!

Thanks so much!

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: relocating with 2 teens and know nothing!!! help...

Hi pjl122. I just replied to your specific request for good GHS neighborhoods. Now that I see your price range, I can tell you that you can buy in all of those neighborhoods for under $300,000. Housing in Greensboro didn't experience the same bubble that other areas (including Raleigh/Wake Forest) did, so living here is still a terrific value.

I grew up in Greensboro (in Hamilton Forest, one of the GHS neighborhoods I mentioned in the other post), and have been back here for 4 years (living in Westerwood, another of the GHS neighborhoods I mentioned). In the in-between years, I lived in Raleigh for 5 years and in Atlanta for 6 years, so I do have something to compare it to.

The cost of living and pace of life in Greensboro are so refreshing. The city hasn't experienced the over-development (yet, anyway) of Charlotte and Raleigh/Wake Forest/Cary, and has a charming atmosphere.

You can live close to the city center (all the GHS neighborhoods are either very close-in or somewhat close-in) in a lovely, safe, family- and community-oriented, tree-lined neighborhood going to great schools for a very reasonable price.

There are five colleges/universities in Greensboro: UNC-Greensboro, NC A&T, Greensboro College, Bennett College and Guilford College.

In answer to your queries, I'll take them one at a time:

sports - spectator sports include minor league baseball (Grasshoppers play in a nice new downtown stadium), arena football (Revolution), soccer (Dynamo) and all the local college sports. For kids, there's baseball, swimming, soccer & football leagues a-plenty.

outdoor activities / lakes - Greensboro has a terrific system of city/county trails for walking & biking, especially through many lovely parks including the Guilford Battleground National Military Park, connected with several other nice parks for walking/biking. Belews Lake is nearby for boating, and there are other lakes in the city available for canoeing/kayaking.

family-friendly happenings / cultural activities / movies - this section could take forever, but suffice it to say that Greensboro is exceptionally family-oriented and that all the local colleges bring cultural opportunities much greater than a city of this size would normally have. Movie theaters (and shopping) aplenty, and nearby if you live anywhere in Grimsley district.

catholic churches - Our Lady of Grace, gorgeous stone cathedral located smack in the middle of the Sunset Hills neighborhood (see GHS neighborhood listing in my other post). St. Pius X, 70s modern building located a little north of downtown in Page High School district. St. Benedict's, small old brick church right downtown. St. Paul the Apostle (built, I think, in the 80s) in the northwest corner of town on Horsepen Creek Rd.

Hope this helps!

2. Re: relocating with 2 teens and know nothing!!! help...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 09:15