We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

Which Greensboro hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

I am going back and forth re staying at the Acorn Inn or staying at one of the chains a few miles away when visiting/exploring Elon. The Acorn reviews are mixed...and the reviews for Country Inn & Suites, although some mix, seem better. Also, we would be arriving when there is a lock box at the Acorn. I have called twice this week (including today) to reserve a room and I get a message saying someone will call me back. The last time I called was more than an hour ago--a little after 11 AM local time there--and no one has called me back yet, which does concern me. I like the idea of being able to just walk to and from our hotel and the Elon campus, but it seems like driving and parking for the day is not a big deal, either. (Chain will cost a lot less, too, via a deal I found.) Thoughts? Thanks!

NC
Level Contributor
794 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

I would go with Country Inn. By no one calling you back definitely explains the mixed reviews and lowers the level of their reputation. How dependable are they, is what one must ask.

Also, we travel a lot and I would never depend on a lock box to have my key for us to get into the room. Just my opinion.

Pennsylvania, USA
Level Contributor
287 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

Thanks! That's what I did, yesterday, --the chain.... :)

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

I agree, just make sure your child gets a feel for the town of Elon, outside of the campus. Understand what it offers and does not offer.... determine if that's important to them/you. The biggest complaint that my kids and I had and that I continue to hear from current Elon students is that there is nothing to do there, so they end up driving to Chapel Hill, Duke or NC State...yikes! As a mom of 2 college students(one undergrad/one grad), I didn't/don't want my kids driving out of town to find fun/something to do....IMHO, too many other great colleges out there with lots to do within walking distance of their campuses.

Best of luck with your college search, I miss my kids being at home, but am glad the college searches and stressful college decisions are behind us ...well, at least until Grad and PhD school searches begin! ;)

Gibsonville, nc
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

I live in a near by town, i would go with Country inn or Best Western. Both are close to I40, Parking not a problem at Elon. You also get to see more or the area, shopping, eating, movies..so much in the area.

5. Re: Choosing between Acorn Inn at Elon and a chain 3 miles away.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2014, 23:15