We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

I contacted many safari companies, explaining that I was on a backpacking holiday and that I was looking for an environmentally and culturally sensitive trek that would allow me to be in contact with nature, the Maasai way of life and far from the maddening crowds. The East African Safari and Touring Company (EASTCO) immediately understood what I was looking for and proposed the perfect itinerary. EASTCO organised a 5 day trek in the Maasai steppe, during which I was immersed in the wilderness with a very knowledgeable local guide and saw no tourists and cars. I finished the trek asking myself “how I can come back for more”?!

I very highly recommend EASTCO and let me know whether you want to know more.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
11,267 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Thanks for the report. It is sometimes difficukt to take the road less travelled, so this is good news. I you could elaborate on the logistics, that would be great. Now, we also all love photos, here on the Tanzania TA. If you load them onto a photo site, we can see them if you post another 'question' and provide a link.

And I think you have joined the 'repeat' club. Many of us have gone once, only to return, or wish to return frequently. This keeps the Tanzania forum very lively with frequent trip reports to feed our insatiable habit.

Hope this is the first of maypny forays for you...and happy that Simon and EastCo could provide what you were after.

QM

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Welcome Marco,

Good to hear brief details of your trip. Where exactly did you start and finish? did you carry tents etc., with you?

<<let me know whether you want to know more.>>

Some photos would be nice!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

The itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 Departed Arusha with picnic lunch

for the Masai steppes and the village of Lolkisale in the

shadows of Lolkisale Mountain.

Days 2, 3 and 4: Headed east through the Masai steppes towards Tarangire. The first few days were along well worn paths, and included visits to Masai bomas and communities en route.

As we headed further east, there were less permanent Masai dwellings and we saw the young Masai herders with their cattle and goats on the lush pastures. On day 4, we camped in the Conservation area near to a seasonal sand river. During the last two days I saw elephants, zebra giraffes and various types of antelopes

Day 5: Trekked through the dense baobab and acacia forests towards the

Lemiyon plains, over volcanic peaks with spectacular views towards the rift valley and savannah. Around midday reached Naitolia Camp and enjoyed the luxuries of a hot shower and king-size bed!

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Once I manage to get Piacasa working on my Mac I'll post the photos on the web!

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Grazie Marco,

Only one comment. You walked West not East. (I know, it is not easy in English).

Great story and an enviable trip. I shall put this on my list for next time!

More tourists should do this sort of thing and get out of their Cars to smell Africa.

Looking forward to Picassa.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
4 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

and for a link to the photos: https:/…

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Thanks again Marco,

It looks like you earned that smile on your face at the end.

A great trip with no doubt many pleasant memories.

I see you caught up with the young Morans on their way to "Camp"!

Thanks again for sharing a trip that lots of folk should envy.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

Simon B I bumped this post up for your perusal.

9. Re: Trekking in the Maasai Steppe

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 07:16