We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

I took this picture ( http://tzview2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/9 ) in Tarangire National Park and can't come up with the name of the mountain in the shot. The photo was taken from the south end of the park looking east. It will be much appreciated if someone could follow the link and help me label my photo.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

I'm going to say Mt. Meru. More accomplished Tanzaniaphiles will correct me.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

Bonnie and Steve

Hi

It is not Mt. Meru wrong direction and size and shape.

I am not the expert in mountains however but my guess would be Oldonyo Sambu.

This mountain is in the Simanjiro Plains and would fit the direction South end of the park looking East.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

The exact location is East of the Southern part of the Park and North of the Loiborsoret Ranger Post.

If you are in the Silale swamp ( not many go down that far) then you are looking East. about 1500 metres.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
38,035 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

Kauma Hill perhaps? Not sure the camera is actually looking 090 east from the shadows.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

b0nnie29, if none of the very knowledgeable people here can ID that mt for sure and you're still on a mission to get it done, I'd suggest writing to Oliver's Camp, where I believe you stayed. I'd send the pic and ask them to have one of the guides nail it down for you. Good luck.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

noexpert, thanks for correcting me. After some reading, I'm throwing my hat in the ring with you: Oldonyo Sambu.

b0nnie29, let us know. Thanks.

Schenectady, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

Thanks all!! I believe Oldonyo Sambu is correct too. There is a photo of the mountain on Oliver's Camp website, but no identifying name :(

8. Re: Help identifying picture subject in Tarangire NP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 09:16