We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

We will be in Tanzania early February, 2015 and our last decision is between these two lodges - we are thinking of switching from Maramboi because we want the option of a night game drive. Any input on location, camp and whether a night game drive is worth the change of camps and additional expense.

Thank you.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

Hi

I don't like Maramboi too far from the park or any conservation areas.

In Feb. the wildlife is spread over a very large area so any of the 2 camps Swala a lot further towards the centre of the park..South....might not be as good as TSL for this time for wildlife. I would also consider the cost TSL should be far cheaper than Swala.

I really like night games and would switch.

TSL with a night game drive shouldn't be that much more than Maramboi but it has a far better location...even though Feb. is not the peak time for this lodge.

Edited: 22 May 2014, 22:13
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

There's not much difference in the cost between these two camps at all. Would you recommend that we cut this area out altogether? Also do you know if Mawe Ninja Camp does night drives? We really liked that camp. Thanks.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
7,259 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

No I wouldn't cut out Tarangire it is one of the best parks......elephants and boababs everywhere. It is a must on any safari.

I don't know much about Mawe Ninga except it is an ATR camp and I believe you need to book through them.

If there is not much difference in the cost between Swala and TSL I would stay at Swala far more up market ......How many nights do you have for Tarangire?

Edited: 23 May 2014, 09:45
new york
Level Contributor
419 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

Hi No Expert -

Sorry I wasn't clean there is a huge cost difference between Swala and TSL but not between Maramboi, TSL and Mawe Ninga. I did check with my TO and they can book us into Mawe. Mawe will doing night game drives shortly. My TO said both TSL and Mawe are "rustic" -not sure what that means. Swala is far more upscale - so I will see if I can justify it to myself. We will be spending one night in Tarangire because our TO said the grass is high, game scarce and hard to see.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

I was in Tarangire in June, right after the rainy season, and the viewing was great-not hard at all. It was actually, my favorite place to visit.

6. Re: Swala or Tarangire Safari Lodge - Night Game Drives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 20:15