We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bioluminescent Plankton

Which Kampot hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
205 reviews
Save Topic
Bioluminescent Plankton

Hi All,

I previously asked a question relating to the plankton on Koh Tonsay (thank you all for replying to that post). I just wanted to establish if there was anywhere else in you could see this? I've read an article that stated this plankton can be found on the riverside in Kampot. Is this true? As my partner and I are staying by the riverside and it would be awesome if we don't have to travel to the island to view this spectacular sight. We shall be there in early February (fingers crossed it's the right time of year!)

Thank you in advance!

Guisborough, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Hi Bianca

I too have read about the plankton in the river near Kampot and will actively seek it out. I've also read that there are magnificent displays of fireflies further up river on an evening - though I'm not sure of the right season to see these. I suspect that tuk tuk drivers will know people with boats who are willing to take paying tourists up river to see them, perhaps asking at your hotel will give more information?

Regards

Louise

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

I have never seen or heard about the plankton in the Kampot River, I have been seven times and also done quite a few boat trips.

The fireflies are spectacular but only in one or two bushes, not a whole river bank of them as in Malaysia.

Plenty of boats available to take you to see them, if you are staying at the Rikitikitavi just ask Bory, or pop in and ask him, or just ask at your accommodation.

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Hey Ann & Louise!

Thank you both for your response. Fireflys would be cool to see... I've not seen them before however my partner has so he may not be as enthusiastic as I. Shame about the plankton though... looks like I'll certainly have to venture out to Koh Tonsay to see this. Do you reckon it's safe to go and come back after sunset? I'll speak to the people at our accomodation and see what they say. All booked and ready to go now... cannot wait!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Bianca where are you staying? And yes l think its safe to comeback after sunset, although the plankton is better viewed later at night.

My husband and l discovered it quite innocently when staying on Rabbit Island for a special birthday.

For the fireflies if you have Facebook cheack out "Green by Name" photography, Tori was with us last month when we visited the firefly's, sadly the photos were'nt great but she has a few of the actual insects.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

I've seen them on many of the islands including Koh Rong. It's really only visible on dark nights, so the less moon the better!

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Hi Ann,

My partner and I are staying at Champa Lodge. I was really hoping to have the pleasure of seeing this in the river as it's righ besides it. :)

I do have FB so I'll be sure to check out 'green by nature' and let you know what I think. I'm sure it's not easy to get perfect shots of the fireflys but it would still be great to see. Thank you!

Where is Koh Rong? I am willing to go anywhere to see this plankton - I know it's crazy but it sounds so magical! hehe! Plus the UK doesn't offer this! :D

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Koh Rong is one of the islands of the coast of Sihanoukville. All of the islands have the plankton, as far as I know. I've also seen them at Phu Quoc, which is an island in Vietnam but very close to the Cambodian coast.

dorset
Level Contributor
551 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

We saw the bio luminscent plankton when staying at Lazy beach on Koh Rong Samloem (there are 2 islands with the name koh rong in them). However, I believe some people have also seen it at Otres Beach.

The main thing is that it needs to be very dark (not street lights etc). Also it is best when there is no moon.

London, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

That's cool... I was considering wandering up to Sihanoukville. So I'll read up more on that - thank you!

I'll wait for a real dark night before I head out to see it. Is there like a certain time of year that is best? Or is it one of those things that are a constant? Where is Otres Beach if you don't mind me asking?

I am greatful for your comments - such a huge help! :)

Edited: 22 August 2013, 14:50
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bioluminescent Plankton

Otres Beach is a beach at Sihanoukville, so if you are heading that way it might be easier for you then spending a night on Rabbit Island or trying to stay their late.

Champa Lodeg is right on the river, just ask them if they have seen it in the river but l have never heard of it there? But then l'd never heard of the fire flies until recently too!! They were keeping them a secret...

A moonless night is the best for plankton and the fireflies.