We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

Which Kampot hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

Earlier this week, we rented two scooters from Sean Ly (pronounced 'See-ann Lie') for two days. After checking the brakes and doing a quick test ride, we decided it would be a good deal to rent them for $4USD/day. My bike ended up being a total gas-guzzler where a 7km trips uses up 1/4 tank. The speedometer, side-mirror and gas-meter all became non-functional. By then, we were too far away from Kampot to switch out for a new one. The engine had issues, where it would completely die if I wasn't on the gas enough.

When we went to return the bikes, a woman punched in numbers in her calculator, to show 3 days of rental. We had arrived 2 hours after the 'return time', even though we had told the owner, Sean Ly that we'd return them at another specified time and he said 'OK, I charge only 2 days'. Sean Ly was conveniently not there, 'sleeping' and unreachable. The woman became very hostile, held on to our passports and we ended up paying her $2 extra so she'd let us go.

It's not about the money, but the principle. I've rented scooters in Ubud, Bali for $5/day and explored the entire island for 3 days and only re-fueled ONCE. I spent $10 extra on gas just for my piece-of-crap bike in Kampot.

tip: Bring a photocopy of your passport (because you might need the passport to show your guesthouse/hotel) & have something in writing if you can.

even better tip: Don't rent from this shop!

11 replies to this topic
Alexandra Vic...
Level Contributor
392 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

I only rent bikes through my wonderful friends at the Riki for $5 per day , no arguments, they are dropped to you in the morning and after specified time I.E , 2 or 3days they are picked up late in the afternoon , just before happy hour. So yes really only get 2 & 1/2 days but for $15 what can you complain about????.

Edited: 24 May 2014, 09:01
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

We do the same as then we are looked after. But have also rented off Cheang Try and have had good bikes.

birmingham
Level Contributor
263 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

If a person doesn't drive is there a place to take a motorbike test? Not to drive round the big towns but Kampot/Sihanoukville. Thanks

Phume Phnom...
Level Contributor
12,631 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

And the bikes at the Riki are in excellent condition and a couple are "automatic gear changes" for those less familiar with these small bikes.

Best regards. Ian

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

#3 Southeast Asia is the wrong place to learn how to ride a motorbike.

Nice hyrax, OP. :-)

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

Thanks for the advice! Having read your post, we rented from Captain Chim instead. The motorcycle was brand new (with just 2000 km on) and there was this very sweet lady with a huge smile that even let us have it for half a day more for free, til our early morning bus to Phnom Penh. Highly recommended.

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

Be aware--the fuel set up Sean Ly runs is not honest. You rent a bike for the day and he gives you a moto with a bone-dry empty tank. He suggests you fill it up at his neighbor's shop even if, like our group, you are only going to Bokor and back. The gas is 200 riel more per liter than anywhere else. To go to Bokor and back you only need slightly over half a tank. When you return the bike Sean Ly siphons the fuel back into his neighbor's fuel bottles. We discovered this while riding with locals. They called him out on the price of the fuel and explained how the system of recycling fuel works. I agree with this first post's sentiment in that it's not the amount paid that's troublesome but the principle. Sean Ly makes money in a dishonest way. You should consider taking your business somewhere else!

Edited: 16 February 2015, 03:48
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

I had a really good experience with Sean Ly. I had to get some work done on my 250 Baja to make a trip back to Phnom Penh and was recommended his services by a few of the locals. Within an hour, he and his mechanics had rebuilt my entire front end, fixing the disc brake, straightening the fork, and bending/welding my handlebars back into place. I rode back to Phnom Penh with my bike in fantastic shape.

While I was there, an expat girl rode up on a Daelim moto with a blown transmission, Sean Ly gave her a very reasonable price on the repair and let her borrow a very nice Honda Moto for the night for free. He didn't even ask her to sign a paper, just took her Daelim and gave her the key to the Honda (which is probably 4 times more expensive).

I can't speak for his rentals, but based on the repair jobs he does and his outstanding reputation with the the expat crowd that I met, I would do business with him again.

1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

DO NOT RENT FROM THIS MADMAN! Do not ever hire if ure not prepared for a huge hazzle if u don't know anyone local or even the police wich I did, he's still goin to hazzle you for every scratch on that thing. He is also impossible to deal with.

He destroyed three days of my vacation in kampot

All I wanted was to punch him in the face and burn his place down. That's how much hate a have for that guy.

Thank you

Kampot, Cambodia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental

I just rented from Sean Ly with 4 other friends for one day. Yes you bought petrol from next door, which may have been 50c pricier than other places, but there were no other issues. We all returned our bikes and got our passports back without being asked about scratches or anything. They probably take out petrol so they can re-sell it but its not as if other places will give you petrol already in the bike.

Basically, all OK!

Reply to: Do not rent from Sean Ly Moto Rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted