We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new to cambodia forum

bulgaria
Level Contributor
148 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
new to cambodia forum

Hi,

i fancy going to cambodia next year . i usually book flights and guest house/rooms myself on line. Can any one recommend places to stay, which airline from UK and rough guide to prices.

I do like beach but love to see the culture. Is the food good and getting around easy.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post ,hope some one can help

1. Re: new to cambodia forum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 April 2011, 14:35
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: new to cambodia forum

Hi Jayne and welcome to the Cambodia forum

have you checked out the top questions - they are top right of the forum pages (Cambodia, PP, SR etc) - many of your questions will be answered there.

Then the search box - just above will give you plenty for consideration

and the best other sites for useful info on Cambodia are the Canby Publications site and Travelfish - there are links to both of these from the bottom of the FAQ page (Cambodia forum front page - top right)

Not sure if you posted on the Kep forum on purpose but Kep is a sleepy little town on the coast without much tourist infrasturcture (which is why I love it).

Most travellers visit to see Siem Reap(the Temples of Angkor) and Phnom Penh, then add Sihanoukville and Battambang before kep makes their itinerary.

have a read around and when you have some clearer ideas of what you'd like to see, please come back and I'm sure there will be plenty of regulars who can help.

As far as airlines - you'll have to transit through one of the major SE Asian hubs - KL, BKK, HCMC or Singapore as no-one flies direct to Cambodia from the UK.

You can find a guesthouse from $15 / night and hire a tuk tuk to get around for $15/day, and the food is fantastic. there is a good review section for hotels/guesthouses in the left hand bar.

Happy planning - and come back if we can hep some more

cheers

helen

Edited: 04 March 2011, 12:06
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,495 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new to cambodia forum

And avoid "advice" from low number posters resident in Cambodia and elsewhere.

Far, far too many of these low number Cambodian domiciled and other low number posters from elsewhere are thinly disguised touts for their services.

Just read the more mainstream posting and topice for a while and you will rapidly learn a lot and avoid many pitfalls and much heartache.

Welcome to the forum.

Best regards. Ian

somerset uk
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: new to cambodia forum

How refreshing/encouraging to see polite, patient and helpful responses to this question as opposed to the occasional but too frequent sniping and bickering I have read recently on this forum. Thank you. Like Jayne I am also researching and learning about Cambodia, from a position of zero knowledge, with a view to a cycling trip sometime in the (hopefully) not too distant future but have not enjoyed the tone of some replies to questions that I have read. So here's to more of the same like this - really helpful to those of us who are using Trip Adviser as comparative new comers.

I'll get off my soap box now, hopefully without having stirred up another hornets nest!

ps I am aware that some responses are not posted by those who they purport to be from.

To the genuine experts, your knowledge and help is really appreciated.

Richard

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,736 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new to cambodia forum

'Morning Richard,

No-one here minds helping newbies but many of us get throughly tired of the posters who want us to be their travel agent and post things like "where do I stay, what do I do" without any research on their part and without giving any indication as to their budget, the things they might want to see and their style of travel (need for stars in their accommodation).

Some of them have not even looked at a map or done a rudimentary google search. You have to wonder why they have chosen Cambodia at all Thats the kind of thing which elicits sharp responses. There is a difference between helping and being taken advantage of.

welcome to the Cambodia forum and happy planning for your trip

cheers

helen

Edited: 04 March 2011, 23:18
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new to cambodia forum

Helen is right as there is lot of information on the FAQ`s and it is worth while to see other people`s trip reports for ideas. After some research people can ask specific questions.

Here is my trip report with tips/ pictures for ideas.

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

7. Re: new to cambodia forum

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2011, 10:49
Kep
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new to cambodia forum

Hi Jayne,

There are plenty of places to stay in Kep. Just sniff around the reviews, then check the venue's website to make sure it's a place that really suits you. I recently uploaded a video called "Kep, Cambodia. Places to stay, things to do, places to dine." on YouTube, if you're interested in taking a gander. It's by no means exhaustive, but gives you a glimpse of a few options.

Cheers,

Owen.

Edited: 07 May 2011, 08:43
9. Re: new to cambodia forum

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Kep