We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach holiday

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
beach holiday

Husband and I (late 40's) coming to Kerala in November and looking for a relaxing tropical 5 days after trekking in Nepal. Any ideas of what location to go to in Kerala. We are coming from Mumbai on the train. If we can get some ideas of how far down to come and which area to look in, I can do some more research myself. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mentioned in this post
Kerala
Kerala
India
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
for Mumbai, New Delhi, Kochi (Cochin), Chennai (Madras), India
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beach holiday

If it's the beach you want, then there's Kovalam (the most popular one) and Varkala, which are both accessed from Trivandrum.

From Cochin, there is the quieter Marari Beach, which has fewer stay options. If you want to relax, then a combination of 3-4 nights in Marari and 1 night on a houseboat cruise in the nearby Allepey backwaters may be just the ticket. Take a look at Beach Symphone, Marari Beach Resort, and Abad Turtle something something.

Edited: 28 June 2010, 13:34
Mentioned in this post
Kovalam
Kovalam
Thiruvananthapuram District, India
Varkala
Varkala
Marari
Marari
10 Reviews
Alappuzha, India
Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beach holiday

That should have been A Beach Symphony.

Mumbai, India
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beach holiday

It's a looong way from Mumbai to Kerala by train. Usually better to fly.

Mentioned in this post
Mumbai
Mumbai
Maharashtra, India
Kerala
Kerala
India
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beach holiday

Yes we are actually coming down from New Delhi on the Rajhini Express (spelling??). It takes 48 hours but we thought it was a good idea to experience India. We are going to book the best class sleeper we can get and hope to get a 2 berth. If anyone has experienced this and can give us some idea of what to expect. We have traveled all through Malaysia on the train, but I am expecting Malaysia to be a little bit more luxurious. Thanks for your resort ideas, I will google them now. All the best.

Mentioned in this post
New Delhi
New Delhi
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: beach holiday

Hi Mullaloo,

Rajdhani Express is one of the best and fastest trains between New Delhi and Kerala.

The train number that you are referring is #2432 (TRIVNDRM RJDHNI), starting from NEW DELHI (NDLS) and goes till TRIVANDRUM CNTL (TVC). If you are looking at Kovalam, you may please go till the last station - TRIVANDRUM CNTL (TVC). Instead, if you are looking at the beaches like Marari, please alight at ERANAKULAM JN (ERS).

ERANAKULAM JN is nothing but Cochin and you may hire a cab from here to reach Marari beach.

As far as what can be expected from Rajdhani Express, although it's a bit longer journey of almost 2 days, you might not find it very tiring as the climate in November is relatively pleasant. Also, book the tickets in First Class (A/C) category, to get the most comfortable and private space in the train. Please make use of the following website of Indian Railways. You might have to register yourselves before booking.

www.irctc.co.in

On luxury front in comaparison to Malaysia, we feel that you might be disappointed. Indian public transportation system is huge, but not adequate to meet the growing needs of masses.

Also, please ensure few basic aspects like, drinking only bottled water from stations, avoid consuming loose food available during journey other than those from authorised centers at railway stations or distributed from train's own pantry etc.

Wish you a very happy journey!!

Regards,

Team tennderGreens Holidays

Mentioned in this post
New Delhi
New Delhi
National Capital Territory of Delhi, India
Kerala
Kerala
India
Kovalam
Kovalam
Marari
Marari
10 Reviews
Alappuzha, India
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beach holiday

Hi,

I only pop into this forum now and again, but I note that the train you are catching stops at Kannur.

Now it depends on what type of beach you are looking for and whether you want lots of night life and a social scene.

If you prefer peace and quiet and almost deserted beaches, then I would strongly recommend Kannur to you. My wife and I thought it was one of the most relaxing places we have ever found (and we've found a few on our travels)

If you have the time, you may like to read my very detailed report on our time at Kannur, last year. Together with a link to lots of photos.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297631-i5501-k273…

Mentioned in this post
Kannur
Kannur
Kannur District, India
Cochin
Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: beach holiday

Hi Mullaloo,

Yes, Infoaddict has carved out one of the most beautiful trip reports, ever read. Not just informative, but descriptive to the most granular levels to make your really get a feel of what can be expected.

Guess it wouldnt be exaggerating if you call it a traveler's bible to Kerala.

InfoAddict - why dont you share the links of your remaining trip reports as well? Guess it must be of great use to Mullalloo.

Regards,

Team tennderGreens Holidays

Mentioned in this post
Kerala
Kerala
India
8. Re: beach holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2010, 11:19
9. Re: beach holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 January 2011, 05:16