We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Aachen, Germany
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Hi fellow travelers & the experts

The coming March (1st week) I will be renting a houseboat for a '21 hr trip', and I want to know your opinion on pre-booking or spot-booking about this.

Archersarrow had a great post about the hassles of booking a boat on the spot. I am an Indian, and yet I am wary of the touts/agents. I expect March to be a low season. This should give me some advantage while choosing the right boat, right? What do you guys think?

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

I am also writing the post to helping the travelers. I need to help the travelers that why i recommend don't do spot booking . I know the problems happen here.

I am not believing DTPC Alappuzha. They are offering different rate at different time. They are not changed the off season printed tariff . I don't want to enquire DTPC every day to know the rate. I have too much experience in backwater tour operation.

I am tell the facts, i paid Rs 30000/- for a 4 bed room houseboat on 24th December 2011. I shocked you get the houseboat Rs 23,000/- . It is absoulty a best price. That's why ask to publish that operator details. So it is more help for the travelers, not for marketing.

My Suggestion is

1) TripAdvisor is powerful tool find best operator

2) Don't do the spot Houseboat booking

Pune, India
9 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

I guess you are sticking to December Situation and not trying to expand horizons for other months. There are off season rates also.

Also, presently I am able to book 1 Bedroom house boat at 6000 without negotiation, so it is obvious at the spot there can be still bargain sort of thing.

Help:: Can somebody please let me know how is the season rates in Kerala during 1st week of Febuary, from 1st Feb to 9th Feb.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 07:44
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

I am not telling about season changes & rate fluctuations . I can't recommend any travelers for Spot booking. Because i seen everyday in the houseboat terminal how a client booking the houseboat.

presently 1 Bed Room Houseboat rates are starting Rs 6000/- to Rs 18000/- . Rs 18000/- is Top luxury houseboat with Jacuzzi, Shavar panel, fully air conditioned upstaris & living area etc..

Defiantly you can book Rs 6000/- for 1 bed room houseboat . I am not doing the self promotion but i force to say that, " I can provide a houseboat Rs 5000/- " a Deluxe category Houseboat.

May be other operator can also give the same rate once a traveler book online.

Still I Don't some members are tell the traveler do spot booking.

Lots problem happen everyday in alleppey while a person do spot booking.

I recommend Travelers believe in TripAdvisor Recommend Operators . AVOID SPOT BOOKING

Binu Joseph

Pune, India
9 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Hi Binu,

Can you please elaborate how travellers face difficulties in spot booking?

You have mentioned this many times so I am glad to know the difficulties is being faced by travellers.

Edited: 09 January 2012, 17:24
Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Some good quality advice given by all parties here We are traveling thtough kerala in march and thought about a houseboat trip but have no set dates its good to know you can spot book when there Thanks to all concerned

Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

I can explain ..

Once a client reach the houseboat starting point ,some touts/agents are catch clients. They are standing in front all houseboat. Travelers believe that they are the owners & taking the houseboat wit them.

No houseboat owners are standing in front of the houseboat waiting for the clients & bargaining like street market.

To Run a standard houseboat per day a owner meet the expense of Rs 3500/- including depreciation of houseboat, staff salary , food, Diesel, maintenance etc..

Rs 5000/- is a best rate for standard A/c Houseboat in alleppey. So go through the TripAdvisor find best rate & best operator. AVOID SPOT BOOKING

Level Contributor
374 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Hi All,

The data share by Binu are completely true. Request you to see a point in his recommendation to avoid booking on arrival - may be till end March or even end May.

To be precise, once the peak season (15th Dec to 15 Jan) is over, there are few pockets every month, where the availability of good houseboats wouldnt be an issue and you may do a spot booking in such cases. However, on some other dates, for example, all weekends, few days after some auspicious dates of North Indian marriages (like dates between 05th to 10th Feb) etc, we find that the good houseboats are all sold out.

Secondly, the houseboat boarding point at Punnamada Finishing Point has only a limited number of houseboats anchored - there is a huge number available at other docking areas as well, for example - Lakes & Lagoons, Muthoot etc at Pallathuruthy. Now, by sitting over the comfort of internet, if you are able to get the details of all of these operators, why dont you try pre-bookings.

Again, please dont mistake this as a 'tour operator's' perspective of encouraging pre-booking; instead, it's only a recommendation for busy months. The fundamental issue here is the disorganized nature of hosueboat industry and the lack of price regulations. There is no single standard to compare and rate various houseboats in various classifications - so, the only way is to go with reputed operators, by pre-booking.

Team tenderGreens

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

Wow this looks like an interesting exchange.

Well the fact of the matter is today houseboat business is going through a tough transition and it is for these reason there is no stability on rates. In this business you have an organised and another completely disorganised set of promoters. You will not find any of the professional agencies in the pre paid counter area as they have a well set business due to quality of boats and service they provide.

On the other hand this disorganised bunch which unfortunately constitute a substantial no are the one who are ruining the market. You find very good quality boats to near junk amongst this with no stability on service or quality. These are the people whom you find on the prepaid counters or find them seeking out clients through touts and other middlemen.

Look for an govt approved service provider list and send out mails to multiple operators and dig out the best deals. This will be safer and better. In March finding a boat is not difficult by the pre paid, but finding the boat to your liking could be. If you are travelling with friends go on take a chance, if you are with family don't even think about it.

Appended below is the link to the list of approved operators

If you are not happy with the rates given by them speak to any of the approved tour operators

Sail well

Edited: 10 January 2012, 15:41
19. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 June 2012, 11:38
Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Alleppey(Kerala) Houseboat March prebooking or spot-booking

hi Sir,

Here, you are not providing good houseboats. But, spamming a travel fourm with self promotion.

Suresh P R

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor