We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

DELHI
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

hi fellow travellers,

i am visiting kumarakom for three night stay @ vivanta by Taj in August,

please suggest if we could plan a houseboat for day trip from alleppey

1) should we drive to allepey from kumarakaom or can we start the day trip from kumarakom(which is more scenic )

2) which is the best route for a houseboat/ backwater day trip

3) scared by so many accounts of poor houseboats, would mid august would be good time to book at sight

4)any tips for choosing houseboats/ what would be average cost for a day trip

5) one last query , are there any good beach areas nearby to spend some time on beach with kids

regards

gautam

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

Hi Gautam,

You can board a houseboat in Kumarakom and have them drop you off at Alleppey. Kumarakom is great for canoeing. Both Alleppey and Kumarakom have their own pros and cons. Kumarakom is more of a rural place with only high class resorts while Alleppey is more urban and offers the tourist anything from the ordinary to the exotic.

Check out reputable houseboat operators and book a houseboat directly with them rather than go through an agent or tour operator. TA reviews would be helpful in selecting a good houseboat. I rate Lakes and Lagoons as one the better ones in the place. As regards the rates, you need to have the dates confirmed. Reason - the Nehru Boat Race in Alleppey is a peak season for the houseboats and operators jack up prices for the event. Please do book in advance in any case.

Beaches - Alleppey has a good beach. Marari beach about 12 Km away from Alleppey is rated as a great Hammock beach by National Geographic.

Kerala
Destination Expert
for Kerala, Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Munnar
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

1 & 2 - I would suggest to do the alleppey round for a day cruise . it doesn't mean that you don't get a houseboat for day cruise in Kumarakom but the difference is that Alleppey have more of canals in the backwaters but in Kumarakom it is just the vast lake. so comparing i would say a day cruise in Alleppey side is beter as you would be able to see the life around the backwaters

But if you ask a operator ( if you finally happen to book for one starting and ending at Kumarakom) to cruise to the southern part of Kumarakom like R block, Methran kayal, c Block areas and and take you back to the Taj. This would also be a good cruise

3- One week before and after the nehru trophy boat race you see the boats booked plus the rates hiked as said above . but since you are there for 3 nights i would say you can manage to book one on arrival , if you are ready to spend a couple of hours going around and seeing the boat . avoid touts . you may also check with the prepaid counter very near to Taj

4- The cost for a day curise could be starting Rs 6500 for a couple to Rs 12000 depending on the type of the boat . you could also check with the hotel. they do arrange boats

5) The nearest popular beach is Marari beach , it is an hour from Kumarakom by a CAB

DELHI
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

Thanks Earthy routes , appreciate ur advice

Please suggest can I get taxi transfer to marari beach / allepey area from taj kumarakom

And also from marari beach back to kochi

Or should I hire a car for four days as soon as we land @ kochi airport??

Which will be more practical option

Regards

Gautam

Kerala
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

Hello Gautam ,

if you are making the Kumarakom - Marari - Cochin trip on the same day , then i would suggest to keep a CAB for the whole trip than hiring separately

you can use the prepaid counter at airport for transfer to Taj

and second day you are on the houseboat and if you are planning to do it from Kumarakom then you might not need a cab for that day

and for the last day you can hire one locally or ask the hotel to arrange one ( the rates would be high) . There is a taxi stand near to the Taj where you could meet and negotiate for a trip from Taj - Marari - Kochi

DELHI
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

I am considering some changes to my trip would be something like this :

Day one - arrive at kochi transfer to taj kumarkom

Day 2 - day trip to alleppey for houseboat day cruise

Day 3- transfer to Marari area for a one night stay

Day 4 - transfer in evening to kochi for next morning early flight

Kerala
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

i would suggest to hire a cab for your entire trip in this case

DELHI
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

any idea for cost involved and can i negoitate at airport only

Kerala
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,898 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

i would suggest to book it from a tour operator and not from the pre- paid counter if you are hiring for the entire trip

Approx cost as below

for Tata Indica is Rs 1600 / day / 150 KMS

for Toyota Etios Rs 1600 / day / 100 KMS

for Toyota Innova Rs 1800 / day / 80 KMS

you would cover a max 450 Kms for the above itinerary

Kochi (Cochin...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

Hi Gautam,

Why should you book a cab for the whole trip? Use the prepaid counter at Kochi airport to book a cab to Taj Kumarakom. From Taj Kumarakom, you may book a houseboat to Alleppey (cabs are available or the Taj can find you one). You can also go down to Marari beach which is a few kilometers away from Alappuzha and has a good resort. You can always take a cab from Marari to Kochi airport for the flight back.

DELHI
Level Contributor
296 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: day trip to alleppey from kumarkom

thanks i discover for your input :)