We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

Hello.

Is it compulsory to check in for the overnight houseboat by 12 noon sharp?

Context: During our dec. Kerala tour, we would be in Thekkady on 13th around noon. I m planning to do early morning boat ride on 14th (7:30 to 9:00 am) and then leave for Alleppey/Kumarakom by 9:30 max by cab. I understand it may take 3-3.5 hrs and thus we may reach by 1 pm. Will we be able to check in to houseboat at that time? (I really want to do boating at Thekkady plus overnight houseboat too!)

If not, I will have to consider boating (at Thekkady) in afternoon on 13th :l

Please advise!

Thanks a lot.

Edited: 16 August 2014, 14:28
Paris, France
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

First of all let me express my gratitude to you Arun-Tina, those words are really assuring coming from a destination expert! :)

- I take your words, and would try to go for one of them - spice routes OR river escapes (will follow your suggestions while booking - asking them that the promised houseboat - as in the pic - should be given at the check-in). And by the way, we are planning for the 13th December - so standard rates should apply.

- You are right - many people say that there is nothing to do. But that is the entire point (as one wise soul pointed out), and this is what we are expecting: serene, peaceful time amid beautiful backwaters. An experience in itself. So far I understand that we have a choice in terms of route to take and place/village to stop at. Please feel free to suggest from your personal experience (we will be happy to explore some nice village on the shores - or visit any must-see place..)

- Lastly, is it possible not to pay in full while booking, and rather pay, say, 50% in advance and 50% on completion. Or do most renowned operators ask for full payment in advance?

Pardon my continuous string of questions (but it is not easy to extract all this info). These should (most probably) be the final ones on the topic of House Boat ;)

Kind Regards.

Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

Hi

You can ask for Kumarakom alapuzha route and operators should allow check in from Kumarakom. After 5:30pm they along with their other boats will be parked in shores of a designated village. At that place they need to connect electricity power from a neighbor house so that they can switch off generator. They will help to arrange village walk and ask them in advance to provide a canoe ride. As of my knowledge I guess river escapes package contain this. You may do fishing and cook can even cook it for you. Make sure to carry some cd and books so that these can be used if you found bored at night

You shall pay only advance and they won't ask full payment under normal circumstances. You need to pay only after check in or after check out.

It's my pleasure to answer your questions and if you have further queries let me know and I shall try to help you

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

just for rate comparison please ask for Kumarakom- Alleppey and Alleppey - Alleppey cruise plan

if that is upwards 3000 i would suggest to also check the option of a cab from Kumarakom to Alleppey

Kerala, India
Destination Expert
for Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Kochi (Cochin), Kerala
Level Contributor
2,656 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

most of this top operators take full advance during season particulary

but if there is a chance during your conversations check if there is a a possibility they offer to pay 50 % as advance and rest 50% on arrival

15. Re: Flexibility for Check in times for houseboats?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17