We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling off the beach

Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling off the beach

Sorry, another last minute question!!

If we were to go snorkelling straight off the beach, should we be wearing some sort of protective covering on our feet? Never done this before and was just wondering what nasties might be lurking under foot?

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

We have never had any problems, but just be careful, especially if where you are snorkelling has streams close by feeding into it...sometimes a lot of bits and pieces can be brought down after heay rain, ie timber and so on. If you are really concerned, you could think about taking a pair of those beach shoes/bootees (whatever those darn things are called) or if you have flippers than they will protect your feet...hopefully the water is clear enough for you to see.

Edited: 28 February 2010, 15:57
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

If you're referring to snorkelling in Amed, it depends which beach you're snorkelling from.If there are any pebbles I usually either wear flippers or water sport shoes with a rubber base otherwise it's hard walking on the pebbles. Once you're swimming it's fine. The shoes may get torn by the pebbles so buy a cheap pair.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

We snorkelled in Lipah Veejay and the flippers were fine. The sand is really hot though so have thongs close.

linda :)

Mentioned in this post
Lipah Beach
Lipah Beach
226 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

Yes, the flippers are fine, but it you are snorkeling near Amed Village there are signs on the beach asking you not to stand on/put wieght on the coral to protect it. High tide is better to snorkel as it's easier to get into and out of the water without damaging either the coral or your feet.

Mentioned in this post
Amed
Amed
Abang, Indonesia
SYDNEY
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

Hi there Soo, the beach shoes are called CROC's, actually look at some yesterday thats why I remember, they are also no slip on the rocks. Chhers

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

No, the ones I mean are a bit like those worn by divers inside of their flippers. They are made of rubber with a thick sole and are great for walking on the beach or in the water if you are not sure of what's on the bottom, ie coral, rocks, stonefish......

I think they might be called reef shoes.

Edited: 01 March 2010, 00:40
Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

you can go to amed and no problems but different winds can bring jellyfish and lice problems just like a number of places in the world.

coral and rocks cut and can get tropical infections. this can ruin a snorkelling holiday.

i wear reef walkers that you can buy from big w. they have a thick sole and slip over your feet. this is good as they are easy to walk and swim with in the water. wouldn't leave home for the tropics without them.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,571 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

Ah reef walkers...that's a much more posh name than I was thinking of...rubber shoe thingees.......

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

rubber shoe thingees sounds like a good oz name anyway

10. Re: Snorkelling off the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:17