We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud to Amed

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
Ubud to Amed

Hi Everyone

Wanting to know the best route from Ubud to Amed and how long the journey will take.

The coast road sounds scenic, but maybe there's cool stuff to do inland too? We would want to do the trip in a single day (ie no overnight stay) but would welcome some brief stops and sightseeing along the way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Ubud to Amed

I would suggest you go one way by the coast road up through Candi Dasa and on to Amed. And return via the inland road and include Sideman/Selat.

That way you won't miss anything.

It will be a big day though.

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Ubud to Amed

So sorry - my wording is misleading. We would stay in Amed for a few days but don't want to stay overnight on route between Ubud and Amed.

Yep, that would be a big trip Whinnie! Ubud-Amed-Ubud with 2 grumpy kids. No thanks!! :D

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
3. Re: Ubud to Amed

LOL, it's great that you are staying up in Amed for awhile. You'll love it, I'm sure. You won't have to stay overnight on the way up or back, it's a comfortable drive of about 2 hours from Ubud each way.

The trip details remain the same, and if you get the same driver for both trips, just tell him on the way up there that you want to take a different route on the way back and he will work it out from there. You will also be able to stop and visit some interesting places on the way there and back. If you stop at Tirta Gangga make sure the kids have their bathers with them.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Ubud to Amed

The journey will take you approx 1 1/2hrs depending on traffic & which route you take, that's without stops. You have several options:

1. Klungkung & Kerta Gosa: Sidemen, Iseh & Muncan; then take the coast road from Ujung to Amed for some amazing views of the bays/beaches.

2. Klungkung & Kerta gosa: Kusamba- salt making, Goa Lawah (bat cave temple), maybe stop at Padangbai or Candidasa for lunch, then Amlapura where there is a traditional market, Ujung water palace & coast road to Amed.

3. Klungkung & Kerta Gosa: Kusamba- salt making, Goa Lawah (bat cave temple), maybe stop at Padangbai or Candidasa for lunch, then Amlapura where there is a traditional market, Ujung Water Palace. Then take the inland road through the mountains. You could stop at: Tenganan (Bali Aga Village), Tirtagangga water gardens, Budakeling where there are gold & silversmiths then onto Amed. Apparently there is an elephant park near Kerta Gosa but i haven't visited.

Maybe pick out the places which really interest you as otherwise it will be a very long day. Maybe you could do a tour from Amed whilst you're there.

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Ubud to Amed

Hi Ursie

You are the best! Thanks so much for taking the time to bring us "first-timers-to-Bali" up to speed. I hadn't realised there were 2 water palalce thingos. Tirtagangga water gardens and Taman Soekasada Ujung water Palace.

Anyone know which one is better? And are they nearby each other?

Thanks again!!

Kylie

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: Ubud to Amed

They are probably about a half hour from each other.

I definitely prefer Tirta Gangga as it's lusher and more shaded and has a nice feel to it.

Ujung is larger, not as much shade but still beautiful (in fact my son and DIL 2b are actually having their wedding ceremony there next year, if all goes to plan). Ujung has actually been rebuilt twice as it was damaged by lava flow and seems to be more important to the Balinese themselves.

Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
35 reviews
7. Re: Ubud to Amed

Whinnie, you are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks stacks - you have helped us out heaps on various postings!!

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Ubud to Amed

Ubud to Amed is approx 2 1/2 hrs...sorry! I'd been replying to a query about Padangbai & that must have been why I wrote 1 1/2hrs.

9. Re: Ubud to Amed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 November 2010, 07:51
Get answers to your questions about Amed