We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swimming in December

vienna
Level Contributor
24 posts
143 reviews
Save Topic
Swimming in December

Hi all,

we plan to go to Amed area in December. Has anybody been there at this time of the year? Was swimming possible in the sea (wind, rain,..) ?

Would be helpfull if anybody could share his experience in this time of the year.

Best regards

jewel

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swimming in December

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k245…

Here is a link to my jbr from our time in Amed during December, it rained every day at the same time in the afternoon.

We loved Amed the only problem with the rain is that yes it effects visibility for diving, but just go diving early and relax all afternoon. It is still warm enough to swim and the sea wasn't rough at all.

I have such a wonderful opinion of Amed even when it poured rain every afternoon, remember you might go and get hardly any rain :)

vienna
Level Contributor
24 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swimming in December

Dear Tanalee,

thank you so much for your reply.

We are no divers. We`ve chosen a small resort at Jemeluk Beach to relax and just want to swim. So we where afraid the sea would be to rough.

Best regards

jewel

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,365 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swimming in December

We stay in Candidasa (an hour south of Amed) and at that time of year, the water conditions are a daily and sometimes hourly thing.

When it rains as with Tannalee's response, a lot of debris can come down the streams and the water gets clouded and stirred up, but by the afternoon, when the tide might be low, you can have almost perfect swimming and snorkelling conditions.

I would not let the thought of rain (can't recall very windy days at all) etc, change your plans to stay in Amed...you will love it, just as Tannalee does and us CD.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swimming in December

I have stayed in Amed in December/early January & it only rained for a short period & not every day. Swimming was OK every day, the sea wasn't too rough but it occasionally affected visibility when snorkelling. If you'd like info re Amed such as activities/places to visit, best snorkelling spots etc PM me with your email.

vienna
Level Contributor
24 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swimming in December

Dear all,

thank you so much. I was a little bit scared to have no chance to swim in the sea (we love that) but now i feel fine with our plans.

Thank you for your help

Edited: 06 September 2010, 16:18
Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swimming in December

Weather and sea conditions just can't be predicted this far in advance, particularly when the weather is as disordered as it is this year in Bali, where we are having a completely reversed dry/wet season, with heavy rain and strong seas when it's normally dry and calm.

Amed is not known for strong currents in the way eg Kuta is.. and most of the swimming you'll do will be in relatively sheltered bays. But pay attention to any advice that locals give you at the time, they are the ones who really know.

7. Re: Swimming in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 05:16