We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in Amed

Which Amed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1st time in Amed

Hi we booked blue moon villas in Amed and was reading on things to do. We've been to Seminyak, Ubud, Tanah lot, Sanur but will be our first time in Amed.

Other than trekking, snorkeling, any recommendations for a good proper Balinese massage?

Also any night life or partying in Amed? What do ppl do at night after the sun sets n u can't see the ocean anymore? Any place selling DVDs? :-)

Thank u!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in Amed

G-shien, Amed is a sleepy little fishing village and not a lot happening after dark, but not far from you is Wawa Wewe and they have a band a couple of nights a week, as does Amed Cafe. Mostly when we ate out we took our time with this, then went home as we were tired from snorkling and swiming all day.

There may be a shop in Amed village that sells DVD's, but Amed is definately not a destination for shopping.

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in Amed

Amed is quite, but has a good energy. Very lay back, chilled out place. Lots of local guys into Bob Marley have bands & play at different places after 8pm. Its good. Not hetic. Snorkelling is wonderful. "White Sand Beach" 30 mins transport trip away , is worth it. Warung Eny great food. "Benny's Mum" for massage , the best !

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in Amed

Thank you for the recommendation! :-) so is there a shopping centre or square where u can pick up the DVDs? Maybe some grocery? Also fishing triPs how're they? Rods n reels n bait provided? Any gd boaters to recommend?

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in Amed

Benny's mom! Got it. Do they have yoga too? I've been searching high low on the forums but they only recommend the beach ladies and A Spa. So thanks again! I'll be sure to give a trip report! Waiting for Blue Moon Villa to revert on our rooms.

AmedBali
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in Amed

Slightly amused, do we have a shopping centre or square... I hope never, Amed is the place to come to get away from all that.... one road that runs through bays, fishing villages and the beautiful coastline, more beauty under the ocean than looking at DVDs... in need of social life after dark the local boys may charm you by singing melodies in Indonesian, or looking at the moon and stars, no city lights so the sky is amazing.... fishing is by nets for mackerel, also can leave in the morning before sunrise and watch the sun come up while on a jukung boat, or tag along with a solo fisherman looking for tuna and barracuda.

You can dolphin spot from Blue Moon, walk down to Good Karma for a beach massage, or to Palm Garden for a Spa treatment, and Life in Amed at 7.30 am to see the boats coming in and the women gathering the fish to go to market, authentic village life not changed in decades, Enjoy your time.

AmedBali
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in Amed

Slightly amused, do we have a shopping centre or square... I hope never, Amed is the place to come to get away from all that.... one road that runs through bays, fishing villages and the beautiful coastline, more beauty under the ocean than looking at DVDs... in need of social life after dark the local boys may charm you by singing melodies in Indonesian, or looking at the moon and stars, no city lights so the sky is amazing.... fishing is by nets for mackerel, also can leave in the morning before sunrise and watch the sun come up while on a jukung boat, or tag along with a solo fisherman looking for tuna and barracuda.

You can dolphin spot from Blue Moon, walk down to Good Karma for a beach massage, or to Palm Garden for a Spa treatment, and Life in Amed at 7.30 am to see the boats coming in and the women gathering the fish to go to market, authentic village life not changed in decades, Enjoy your time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in Amed

Wow... you had me at fishing and sunrise....

How do we do the fishing bit? I'm staying at Blue Moon Villa can we hire a boat through the hotel with equipment?

Thanks again for the great tips. We're only staying 3 nights coz my partner's bored there isn't any tele.... :-((((

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in Amed

G-shien, just make eye contact with a fisherman and you will have your boat. It is like hiring a car in Bali, almost everybody is for hire, to suppliment their income. We met a lovely guy called Aryo as we were lazing around our pool. He very respectfully started up a conversation, whilst leaning over the beach wall, before I knew it we had booked two boats and bought a Benitto (fish like a tuna) and he had arranged to cook it on the beach for us for lunch. He even bought stale bread for the fish, so they would come to us whilst snorkling. We never once missed having a tv, though we did have a laptop, so the kids could watch a DVD when we retired for the night.

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in Amed

Toshay!!!!! It was a relief to arrive in AMED. My daughter's 20 yr son exclaimed

when we arrived. "AaaaaHHH now this is Bali". Its a cute place......one main road along the coast goes for 20kms easy, of just warungs,dive centers, bungalows, very very little shopping, kids running along, black beach , fisherman, village life.

I was walking one day "UP" the biggest hill along the road .....I was getting tired,is was hot, so I literally hailed down a local on a scooter & he took me "up" the hill & dropped me off over the other side. Why ? Bcos I kindly asked him too ! Amed people are cool ! Ask anyone , local, for Benny. He was great help to us there & his Mum's massage are traditional Balinese massage.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in Amed

Hi,

If you want to do something more that only snorkelling and beach life, you can try the bike tour with East Bali Bike. They pick you up at your hotel and the trip starts at the slopes of the Mt. Agung, mostly downhill, through small villages and ricefields to White Sand Beach, or Kebun Impian at Seraya for lunch. Then transport back to Amed.

Very friendly team, we had a gorgeous day!