We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Which Amed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Hi have been looking at all the stuff on Amed and it sounds wonderful. What would be the best hotel to stay at and snorkel off the beach? We still want to be around other shops restaurants etc.

Thinking about staying a few days in Ubud then heading over to Amed then back to Sunur or somewhere near Kuta action (but not too close really don't like tourist hangouts and crowds) How would we get to all these places? Hire car??? or can we get a private pick up don't want to spend too much money on getting to places but want to get there safely.

Any suggestions for Ubud and southern accomodation would be welcomed.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
20,978 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Only had day trips to Amed and not ever stayed, so can't recommend a particular hotel, however I would get a driver to take you there. You may have someone who can recommend a driver from the area, or you could have a look through those recommended on this forum and email them for a quote to take you there. Once you are in Amed, you will find drivers either along the main road or recommended by your hotel, to take you out and about in the area.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k…

In Ubud we have stayed at Alam Shanti and on our next trip we will be staying at Alam Jiwa - both lovely small hotels, set in gardens and rice fields and around a ten minute walk from Ubud township. There are many great places to stay in Ubud and it does depend on your budget.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,747 posts
313 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Amed is a beautiful quiet place, not somewhere you go to shop.

To get there hire a driver. Salit is on our recommended drivers list, he lives in Amed and will happily get you and take you there. You can find his details on our recommended drivers list. that sue has given you the link to. I have stayed at Puri Wirata and enjoyed my stay there.

Sanur and Ubud would be good places to base yourself as well.

Always hire a driver don't self drive in Bali unless you are very confident, know the area well and are prepared to accept the risks associated with accidents and insurance. You will always be in the wrong should you be involved in an accident. You also need an international drivers license. Much safer and cheaper to book a driver. For short distances stick with bluebird taxis. Also keep in mind there are no taxis in Ubud, only the ones you see dropping guests off from the south so you will need drivers when here.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

We stayed in Amed last year and loved it. You won't find any shopping. You can't buy sunglasses and t shirts in Amed. However, the restaurants are great and a lot of them will pick you up and drop you off if you ring first. Our favourite was the Grill. Owned and run by an Australian women, who also cooks, the meals were exceptionally good.

We stayed at the Kembali Bungalows. We had a bungalow facing the beach. We hired snorkel gear from the hotel and snorkeled in front of the hotel across coral and abundant sea life. It is literally on your front doorstep. There are other good dive spots and you can find a driver through your hotel, or go stand on the side of the road and someone will ask if you need a driver. Just north of Amed is Talumben which has the world class USS Liberty wreck dive site. I have snorkelled over it although most dive. Its worth a visit. The mountains behind Amed provide a stunning backdrop.

I hope you get there and enjoy it as much as we did.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Can highly recommend Salit Arsa - you will find his details in the recommended driver list on the main Bali page. amed_salit@hotmail.com.

Our fav restaurant was at Blue Moon Villa. The Lavazza coffee at Hidden Paradise Cottages was the best we found in Amed - the cottages there and its position right on the best beach are also pretty special.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Thank you very much for your help much appreciated.

I probably should have worded my question better, I do realise there is no tourist stuff in Amed, precisely why I want to go there. Thanks your comments have reinforced why it appealed to me. I also love the idea of snorkelling straight off the beach so really want to find out the best location to stay at to do this easliy.

Edited: 29 October 2012, 09:57
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

If you PM me with your email address I'll send you an accommodation list for Amed divided into the different areas, a map showing location of some hotels etc plus the best spots for snorkelling directly from the beach.

I'd recommend hiring a driver for transfers & any sightseeing. I can send you Salit's contact details if that would help. You could stop at places of interest enroute to Amed if you wanted. Can also give you some options for sighseeing.

I usually stay at Ubud Bungalows on Monkey Forest Road. Central location so within walking distance of restaurants & shops. Wonderful staff, spotless rooms.

Maybe look at Legian or Seminyak for south Bali, not quite as busy as Kuta.

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

Just noticed that you also mentioned Sanur. Quieter than Legian etc, shops, restaurants, beach walkway. If you post asking for hotel recommendations in Sanur, Ubud, Legian or Seminyak, stating your budget, if you want beachfront, scenic views in Ubud, in centre or on outskirts etc I'm sure you'll get some suggestions

bali
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

my suggestion is, just drive on to Amed. There are a lot of great place to stay at Affordable price. not to many Occupied Rooms as Kuta/Seminyak at this Periode

for best Sunset View, could pick

Waenis

www.waenis.com/

or

Ganesh

http://ganeshamed.com/Ganeshamed/Home.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

We love Blue Star..3 rooms only,right on the beach and fantastic snorkelling right out the front $30-$50 a night.Jemuluk beach we think is the bedt as it is far more protected from winds than others.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
764 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels amed and how do we get there?

I can recommend using Ursie57's Amed information sheets. Ursie sent them to us a couple of years ago and it gave us a good overview of the area and accommodation to assist in planning our trip

Andy