We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amed for a family

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Amed for a family

Our family, which includes 12yr old, 4yr old and 2yr old, are planning our Bali trip and have decided to head to Amed and I have a few questions please.... we would like 8 days with snorkelling, chilling and just hanging out as a family. We like the idea of maybe 4 days at Kembali and then somewhere else. Has anyone stayed at Onlyou Villas? How kid friendly is it? or any recommendations for other places? or is that a waste of time to change our accom. We would like to be able to walk to find restaurants, of course not huge hikes for little ones and if we get a driver places to discover on the odd day we head out. Thanks, any info appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Bali Diversity
Water Sports, Scuba & Snorkeling, Shark Diving, Eco Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Amed Fun Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
Amed White Sand Divers
Photography Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Water Sports, Shark Diving, Boat Tours
Evolution Diver
Scuba & Snorkeling
Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
351 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amed for a family

We have stayed at hidden paradise bungalows they have family rooms and you can snorkel right on the beach in front of the hotel

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amed for a family

Hi Nicole. We just got back from Bali where we stayed for five nights at Pondok Vienna Beach in Lipah Beach right outside Amed. The rooms are inexpensive and are about 10 meters from the beach. Each room has a double/queen bed and another bed a bit smaller. Accommodation is simple but nice enough for us and includes breakfast and dinner for the price. You can walk outside the room, put on your snorkel gear, and walk right into the water for marvelous snorkeling right in that cove. We loved it. Service was splendid. You can walk up the road for little warungs- nothing fancy...

Hope you enjoy Amed. It was our favorite place in Bali. We went up the coast to the Japanese shipwreck which was not so interesting and down the coast to the US Liberty shipwreck- a lot more interesting!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Pondok Vienna Beach
Pondok Vienna Beach
99 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Lipah Beach
Lipah Beach
216 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,322 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amed for a family

Hi Nicole,

I've sent you a PM

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
18 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amed for a family

Hey Nicole, I am a Spanish mama traveling solo with her 3-yr old kid for a 4wk holiday in Bali and Gili Air.

Just on arrival from Europe we are going straight to Amed to stay one week so every recommendation you can give (still do not have any thing booked) or activities to entertain the little one then I will be extremely grateful to receive. Many thx, sonia

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amed for a family

We stayed at Life in Amed when our boy's were little, they loved it and so did we.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amed for a family

We chose to stay at Coral View, it was a great spot as this beach is sand and I found the area (Lipah Beach) quite easy with little ones. When walking to the few warungs the road is so quiet we didn't find it stressful walking with the little ones and I did see someone with a pram, though there isn't footpaths you can safely walk on the road due to very little traffic. There is a good little minimart too. We didn't want to do too much as the kids dad works away so it is just about spending time together, mainly swimming, though Coral View does have swings and no TV, we do bring some little toys that they are quite happy to play with.

We loved Amed, and will go again, last year we stayed in Candi Dasa but I hated how busy the road was when we went walking and maybe the road was a little busier towards the start of Amed, like around Jemuluk and Bunutan area, and it is hard to walk to those areas from Lipah, we had scooters, but I am sure it isn't too hard to find drivers.... My eldest and I would go snorkelling whilst the little ones played with their dad, and we thought about canoeing but we ran out of time. Maybe a daytrip to Whitesands beach would be nice and not too far in the car, Jasri has a 'Chocolate Factory' that sells yummy dark chocolate and the grounds of that is really lovely with a huge swing (they also sell soap), and the Water Palace (I have forgotten but I think Tirta Gangga) you can swim there also.

Ursie sent me some great info, but please feel free to ask any more questions :)

Mentioned in this post
Lipah Beach
Lipah Beach
216 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
San Francisco...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Amed for a family

Hi Nicole,

I read your post with interest as I am planning to go to Amed with my twin 7yr olds next summer. I am excited to introduce them to snorkeling. They can swim, but are beginners. Wondering if you did both the bay in Lipah as well as Jemeluk? Would you recommend one over the other for little ones? I'm hoping for lots to see, calm waters, easy entry frm a sandy beach, shallow, etc!

Thanks for any advice - much appreciated.

Aileen

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amed for a family

We did only snorkel at Lipah beach, but had taken reef shoes for Jemeluk, but I guess we just ran out of time, Lipah beach is a sandy beach easy with easy entry, there is a middle part between Coral View and Hidden Paradise Cottages which is all sand no coral for swimming.

At the beach entrance of Coral View there is a little 'hut' where the local guys sit and you can hire gear or organize a boat trip, they will tell you where the 'good' spots to snorkel are.

I have read other posts with people saying they saw rubbish in the water and other people saying this was due to the time of year, but for us it was clean.

My 12yr old was a natural at snorkelling, and did practice in the pool first, she really enjoyed this part of the holiday and we all cant wait to go back. Amed ,for us, was very relaxing, we didn't want the kids watching tv (so we did choose a hotel without one), and the eldest did say "look at our tv" and it was the view from the balcony watching the fishermen, their boats, the local dogs and I guess just the everyday life of this area.

Mentioned in this post
Hidden Paradise Cottages
Hidden Paradise Cottages
259 Reviews
Amed, Indonesia
San Francisco...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Amed for a family

Thank you for the info! Love the line of your eldest - what it is all about!!

Thanks again,

Aileen

Waiheke Island, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amed for a family

We stayed at Pondok Laut last year. It has to be one of the nicest in Ahmed. Look at my review the rooms are stylish, great design with a Japanese angle and right on the beach. Sounds like their cooked breakfasts are a huge hit. They just added a bigger room on the front as we passed by again this year.

Go sooner rather than later before the whole area gets even more popular.