We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Amed

Which Amed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
MELBOURNE
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Amed

Hi everyone

I am a solo travelling woman in my young early 50's visiting Bali for the first time. As I love to snorkel I have planned to visit Amed for 3 days. When landing I am staying in Ubud for 2 nights then Amed for 3 nights and South Kuta for 4 nights. Is this a good itinerary to experience a diverse Bali and most importantly how would you suggest I travel between hotels? I would like to go directly from Ubud to Amed and do some sightseeing on the return trip. Is there a driver you recommend or should I arrange one directly through my hotels? and which would be cheaper?

and is it safe to snorkel solo or should I join a tour?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,437 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Amed

I think three days in each place would be preferable - but I am an Ubud fan, rather than a Kuta fan - otherwise you have a good mix of places, all quite different from each other. You should be fine snorkelling solo, but you will probably find that others will be in the water at the same time as you if you are snorkelling off the beach in Amed there shouldn't be any currents to bother you and you won't be far from shore.

There are many good drivers in Ubud who could take you over to Amed, also your hotel could organise a driver.. If you particularly want a recommendation we have used Yandira for years and have done many Amed trips from Ubud with him, his email is yandira77@yahoo.com and his mobile +62 8123 982 871

I think he would charge approx 450,000 rupiah, but you would be able to take country back roads and do some sightseeing on the way if you wanted to.

London
Level Contributor
2,528 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Amed

I did something similar to you on my last trip, except I started in Amed for diving (and to force me to slow down and relax), then Ubud (for touring and activities), then one night in Tuban (for proximity to the airport and a final Kuta sunset). My midday arrival time made it easy to drive straight to Amed.

I'm like Jan J, I'd prefer to spend less time in Kuta and more in Ubud. There are more things to do there and it's better for the soul.

If you can't get hold of Yandira, my recommended driver is Kadek Suastika -

email: alungsuastika@yahoo.com mobile: +62 81 747 93556

Cheshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Bali, Amed
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Amed

There are several bays in Amed where you can snorkel directly from the beach. As mentioned previously there are usually other people snorkelling so you won't be entirely alone. Alternatively you could snorkel with one of the dive shops. I know that Adventure Divers in Amed village will also take snorkellers along with them.

Ubud, Amed & Kuta are very different so will each give you different experiences.

You can either take a taxi from the airport to Ubud or book a driver. From Ubud to Amed either book a driver prior to your trip or there will be numerous drivers on the street offering their services. If you use the latter then check out their car & if they have AC. I'll PM you with my recommended driver who is based in Amed. You could then use him for your return journey to Kuta. Several places you can visit enroute to/ from Amed & some lovely mountain & rice terrace views.

MELBOURNE
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Amed

Thank you all for your replies.

They have given me alot more confidence about my plans.

Unfortunately I have already paid for 4 nights in Tuban otherwise I would have taken your advice.

I will probably just chill out at the resort for most of the time. It's far enough from Kuta as I'm not a party girl.

Thanks again

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
24 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Amed

Shore snorkeling in both Amed and Tulamben are a breeze. I personally got up at dawn and drove to the Liberty Wreck alone to do a morning snorkel. The main bays in Amed will all have other people in the water at similar times, and I found that there were essentially no currents in the bays unlike in Sanur.

MELBOURNE
Level Contributor
10 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Amed

Hi CTricity

Thank you for your post.

Though I won't have a car I hope to be able to get to alot of the good snorkeling spots and great to hear there are little currents. Looking forward to life under the sea

Thanks again

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Amed

We stayed at Blue Star ..fab snorkelling off the beach and easy to arrange jukungs(outrigger boats) to take you other snorkelling spots,about $20 a half day.Restaurants will pick you up for free but plenty of options along the beach.Jemuluk Bay is protected and a great spot to stay.Sunrise fishing awesome.

Edited: 31 January 2014, 00:42
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Amed

I plan to go for diving trip from kuta to amed on 20th Feb. Anyone want to share the costs for the transportation?

9. Re: Travel to Amed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2015, 05:19