We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Which Amed hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

It's been about 1 year since I last bought some vanilla beans, and I recall reading that the price has risen quite a bit since then. Last year I got about 40 fat and fresh beans from Ubud markets for 50,000.

Can anyone advise what they've paid recently please. I'll be buying at at market - either Kandicuning, or Ubud, and will also look at the Pasar in Singaraja, although I don't recall seeing them for sale there in the past.

thanks

Edited: 28 April 2014, 02:55
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Thanks cbimages, sorry haven't checked this in a while. Have a great time.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

MMilesSydney, I checked out the pasar at Singaraja this morning but didn't see any vanilla beans - will call in to Candi Kuning in a few days to buy some & advise the cost.

Any, yes, we are having a great time.....massage lady arrives in a few minutes......

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Bought vanilla beans today from Candi Kuning on the way to Ubud from Lovina. Plenty of vanilla beans at every stall, was even offered a large bowl of very fresh sticky and pungent ones.

As I'm taking the beans over to Solomon Islands in a couple of months, and many will be used for making vanilla essence, I got the more dry ones as they were being offered at a cheaper price. I paid rp 50,000 after standing very firm on price, and there are 30 beans in the bag. They are not the biggest ones I saw, but are a decent size.

Our driver took a look at the bag and when I told him the price, he said they were very cheap. (he hasn't seen me in haggle mode!) He also told me that there is a vanilla bean shop in Singaraja - so next time we're there, I'll try to find it. Apparently you can buy the beans, sticks and even just the seeds. Or that's what I was told!

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Sounds like a better price than quoted before even if they are not the best quality. Either the price is coming down or you are a haggler from hell LOL

I am really interested to find out about the vanilla bean shop in Singaraja. Have a friend living there so might see if he knows about it.

Thanks Carol.

Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Gee CB, and I thought my 21 beans for 50kRp was good!

I Iove buying these in Bali, they are a real bargain (at least for us in Aus), and I even use them as gifts when I get home for my cooking friends.

The worst "spice" I ever bought was a small packet of lemon grass cuttings from Hardy's. I might as well have bought some wood chips! Now I grow my own.

I do buy lots of palm sugar and satay blocks now

Cheers

You have set a new price for me next year.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Hello TAers,

Could anyone update if the prices are gone up or down with the vanilla beans. I was excited to see this thread :-)

Thank you in advance

Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

At the sanur market ( there is only 1 seller of vanilla beans) a few days ago we had big discussions about the price of all spices sky rocketing. Vanilla beans are sold in 3 grades, 1st grade is Rp 700,000 a kilo. Black pepper 1st grade is now Rp 150,000 a kilo and white pepper 1st grade is Rp 180,000 a kilo.

australia
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Thank you fameNsw. I will check out Sanur markets when there.

coffs harbour...
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

An update: I bought a bag of vanilla beans on 24 October from Kandi Cuning markets. They are mid sized and dried (as taking over to Solomon Islands next January), 64 beans cost 100,000 rp. Most starting prices 200,000 or more. I walked away from many stalls asking crazy prices. Always offered 100,00 for the same sized bag until price accepted.

Another interesting bit of info on prices at Kandi Cuning, I wanted a few Salek. Asked at a stall for 5,000 rp worth, I was offered one fruit. I just laughed. She then offered 2 fruit, and wouldn't give more. Bought some at a village stall on the way down to Lovina, half a kilo cost 6,000rp, I got 11 fruit. Also 6 huge mangoes. total cost for salek and mangoes $3.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,667 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Current price of Vanilla Beans at a market

Ahh Carol, you are making me jealous!!! Hoping you guys are having a wonderful trip :)