We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Just wondering if you can catch a boat from NL to Padang Bai. We want to go from NL to Amed and that looks a lot quicker than going back to Sanur. Is it easy to then get a taxi from Padang Bai to Amed and roughly how long does that take and how much would it cost ?

My hubby and daughter want to do their dive certificates with a company based in Tulamben. Is it feasible to stay in Amed and do the course in Tulamben ? How far is it between the two and where do you prefer to stay ? Unfortunately I can't go diving as I'm asthmatic but am very happy to snorkel,read,eat etc. Sorry about the many questions but any input would be much appreciated.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,504 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Sorry freogal, it was confirmed a few days back, that the service to and from Pandangbai to Nusa Lembongan, has stopped running.

Some spoke of hiring locals to take them. Personally, I would opt to return to Sanur with those operating commercially and then get transport through to Amed. I would book a driver, not a taxi, as their cars are too small and uncomfortable for such distance. You are looking at approximately 2 hours, to get there.

Happy travels...

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Thanks Sue. That's a pity about the boat. It looked like it would have made the trip to Amed a lot shorter. Is that 2 hours from Sanur to Amed ? They're planning on doing their certificates around the 8th-10th December. How's the weather for diving at that time of year ?

Edited: 07 August 2014, 16:16
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,504 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Yes, around 2 hours from Sanur to Amed..but as always, depending on the road/weather conditions on the day.

We are often in the area at that time of year, and if there has not been a lot of rain in the mountains, then the streams feeding into the ocean, will not cause problems however, if there has, you will have to deal with all that is brought down for a part of, or for the whole day or perhaps more :(

You are travelling in the Monsoon/rainy season and that is what you have to deal with. Some years we have seen very little rain and others, over a number of days.

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

The journey between Tulamben and Amed is about 30 minutes. If it wasn't for the diving course I would say that Amed would be a better place to stay for a non diver - nicer beaches, more choice of accommodation and restaurants. I guess you have to make the decision whether or not to add one hour's driving a day to the agenda.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Thanks ladies. I'm thinking I'd prefer to stay in Amed. The only reason they chose Tulamben was because they read rave reviews about one of the guys that does the certificates there. Last year we were in Bali from the 23rd Nov-7th December and the weather was great. Only one night of heavy rain and a light drizzle one other day. I don't care generally but was wondering about diving conditions. I haven't been up that way for years so I appreciate any advice.

Busselton
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

My review I just posted on Amed might be helpful. Eurodive were great. Book Antoine for your child. My 10 year old had a wonderful time. She has her Junior Open Water and hasn't dived for 6 months. He is very patient. Or go to a reputible dive school next door to your accomodation or within walking distance perhaps. Where are you staying? Coral View Villas ticks all boxes for families I think.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

I just spotted your review happychappy and was thinking what good timing it was for me ! My daughter is 19 and has only been diving twice at Nusa Lembongan and loved it. I haven't booked any accommodation yet but are looking at Bali Bhuana.

Busselton
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

You will all love it! I think staying in Amed is a good idea. Go with the expert advice on here. They are generally spot on!

Beachmere, Australia
Destination Expert
for Ubud
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Lipah beach, which has both Coral View Villas and Bali Bhuana fronting it, is one of the best beaches on the Amed strip - long, sandy (grey) with decent snorkelling in a few different places just off shore. A good choice.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nusa Lembongan to Amed

Great to hear. We have just booked Coral View for December after happychappy's recommendation and some further research. Can't wait. I haven't been up that way for over 20 years. Thanks guys.

Get answers to your questions about Amed
Recent Conversations