We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Returning with Dengue Fever

Which Legian hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Returning with Dengue Fever

Hi, I just returned from Bali last week and was diagnosed with Dengue Fever.

I have another two trips organised, one for my birthday in October & the other with my whole family for Christmas.

I have been advised not to travel to Dengue infected areas as the risk of being bitten again and becoming seriously ill (to the point of possible death) is quite high.

I love Bali and hate to think that my last trip was literally my last.

Has anyone been back to a dengue area that has had it before?

Perth
Destination Expert
for Kuta, Lovina Beach, Singaraja, Baturiti, Bali
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

No I have not had it but I do know that in Perth there is a travel doctor.

Why don't you go and visit her and ask her opinion.

Good luck and I hope you feel better very soon.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

Good advise, make an appt see the travel doctor in South Tce Fremantle. They are very good and can advise you and perhaps ease your mind. Good luck

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

Hi BlupePerth

Sorry to hear that you have dengue fever, hope you get better soon.

I got dengue fever last year whilst visiting Bali/Gili islands.

I am returning to Bali next week.

This is a personal choice as dengue is found in many countries. Wikipedia states:

The WHO says some 2.5 billion people, two fifths of the world's population, are now at risk from dengue and estimates that there may be 50 million cases of dengue infection worldwide every year. The disease is now endemic in more than 100 countries.

I have travelled to dengue infected countries without incident and do not want to give up traveling.

However, since contracting dengue i now have a new approach (or shall we say military regime) regarding mosquitos which is as follows...

-use mosi repellent both DAY and night as the dengue mosi bites in the day.

-use minimum 50% deet

-try to use mosi nets if available

-spray clothing/mosi nets etc with permethrin before travel and after washing

-spray room with insect killer when leaving

-use mosquito coils to burn if sitting outside or in outdoor bathrooms

-use plug-in mosi killer in room

-avoid using perfumes/aftershaves as these attract mosis

... this may sound intense but we did many of these things anyway as we hate having mosi bites but the way i got dengue was to not have repellent on in the day.

The problem with dengue fever is that not enough people know about it. We didn't before i contracted it - unfortunately i'm a bit of an expert now :-( !!!

I certainly didn't know that mosis bite in the day!

We have friends in Perth who go to Bali next month and had never heard of it either and everyone i told upon my return didn't have a clue what it was despite many of them having been to infected countries.

As i said it is my personal choice to return to Bali and i cannot advise whether people should or shouldn't go, this choice should be made with the advice of a medical professional and ones own personal informed opinion.

Hope you feel much better soon, i've been there, it's awful!

nathsal

scotland
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

Hi BlupePerth,

I hope you start feeling much better soon, you must feel so ill at the moment. We were in Sanur three weeks ago, and one of the hotel staffs' husband and father went down with it again, seemingly it can return if you are run down or overtired for a long time. I didn't know this. We were told by our travel co ordinator to use mossie repellent day and night. We took 50% deet with us from the UK, and I am glad we did, because from what I could see, the strongest % that you can get in Bali is 15% deet. Might help someone knowing about this before they go. I agree 100% on what nathsal has to say, really sound advise.

Celidh

Perth
Level Contributor
84 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

Thank you everyone for your responses and well wishes.

I suppose I am lucky that I only got a mild case so have not been as ill as some.

nathsal - do you 'relax' while away or paranoid that you may get bitten again? Are you travelling against the instructions of your doctor?

I dearly want to continue with my plans but don't want it to ruin my time over there and also have to convince my husband as he is convinced I will die!

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

HI BlupePerth

My choice is to stop travelling to certain places or try to take all precautions and then enjoy my holiday.

Again this is a very personal choice. My doctor has never commented as to whether i should or shouldn't go.

These are just my views and everyone has to do what is right by them and their family after having all the facts and taking advice personal to them.

Hope you are feeling much better soon

nathsal

Australind
Level Contributor
461 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

Hi guys What exactly is DEET? I am madly reading all the repellents we have in the house and they don't mention it. Can you tell me the actual brand that has 50% of deet in it? Thanks :)

Sunshine Coast, QLD
Level Contributor
390 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

I was at the chemist last week and the only one that had high DEET was Bushmans. There was one other brand which I just can't remember now that had 15%.The bushman ones were creams and from memory they had a 50% and 80% DEET type. One had added sunscreen, not sure on the SPF of the sunscreen though.

80% seemed a bit excessive to me after what I have read but not sure. Not sure I like the idea of a cream either. A spray seems easier to cover 4 children constantly!!!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has used a cream.

US
Level Contributor
465 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

DEET is a chemical with a smell that effectively repels insects. A higher concentration of DEET is not more effective. It just will last longer.

DEET may need to be reapplied periodically based on the concentration being used and other factors. Concentrations higher than 50% do not increase the length of time DEET is effective. A 10% concentration lasts about 90 minutes, a 30% concentration up to 6 hours and a product with 25% that has a sustained release can last up to 8 hours. Choosing a concentration should be based on the length of protection needed between applications and the degree needed for your planned activity. Choose the lowest concentration that is applicable to your situation.

There are special precautions for children under twelve including a maximum concentration of 30% as well as warnings for babies.

As with any chemical, the full range of warnings should be reviewed before use and a sample applied to test for sensitivity. DEET should not be applied underneath clothes and washed off as soon as returning indoors. Plastics, leather, paint, varnish and synthetic fabrics can be damaged by DEET so avoid contact with glasses, clothing and furniture.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Returning with Dengue Fever

I find 25% deet to be fully effective. Deep Woods OFF is the brand I use. Any level higher than 25% is too strong for me.