We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

Had a 2hr session with YANTO when in Bali last month. I found him rude. Uptight. Full of rules. Autocratic. Overall bad energy from him. My treatment ? Found none of what I was expecting ? Did I get him on a "off" day maybe.???? He was my first encounter with a "not nice" person in Bali. Would not go back. I read SO many positive reviews , walked away shaking my head , had I ended up with the wrong practioner???

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

I'm sorry to hear that I've been looking forward to seeing him next year as I've also heard so many wonderful things. If I was you I'd contact him direct and ask him the same question. Maybe without being quite so blunt :)

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

I'm amazed, my husband, son in law and I have been to him several times each and found him to be very friendly. He had me hanging over the side of the table and kept telling me to trust him and relax - that I wouldn't fall off - is that "autocratic". I had a frozen shoulder which I could hardly raise but after two sessions with Yanto I could reach right above my head. He then showed me some exercises to keep it flexible. All is well.

He did advise my son in law that it would help his back if he lost some weight and he suggested my husband get some orthotics for his shoes as he diagnosed him as having flat feet - which he wasn't aware of. I suppose these things could be upsetting for some people.

If it's not too personal pls explain the incidences that caused you to be so angry.

We had intended to go and see him again during our next visit so hope you did in fact catch him on a bad day.

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

That's really strange...... The Yanto I met in October was the polar opposite to the person you have mentioned. He was a gentle old man, very fit & spritely for his age, who had me in stitches laughing at his little jokes & riddles. I came away from a 1 hour session floating on clouds so to speak & was sorry I didn't book the 2 hour session. I also question whether you had a different practioner as I just cannot imagine Yanto acting that way.

Australia
Level Contributor
616 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

He had got a little "upset" when I emailed him the DAY before to confirm ,his address, time of booking, ect, ect.

He replied "I have emailed you this information"....which he had, but I could not retrieved that particular email....& was just relying on my memory at this stage. So the day before I asked him to confirm these details with me. No biggy , I thought.

I was not late for my appointment, had done what any patient/cleint would of done, confirming my booking with him. :-/

When I entered into his therapy room , he spent , without any word of a lie, 40+ mins , dressing me down over it , like a naughty school girl . To the point , where it was almost laughable. (Only that I was paying for this !).

He clearly , to me , over reacted . He was telling me he goes out & tracks people down & fines them for "no show" bookings. I should try that in my resaturant here at home ! lol

And if your fat & smoke, he cant / WONT help you.

I just found him totally neurotic.

But in saying all the above my daughter followed on from me, for a 2hr session & thinks "his God" ! Apart from the fact he ear bashed HER, about my email questioning my booking, with him thru out her treatment.

We both had a good belly laugh when she came out over a frosty Bintang. Her chronic neck & back pain, was gone& she felt amazing .So must of just been his reaction to me & my email query. (? :-/)

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

Sorry, had to chuckle to myself.

I think you probably took the wrath for every person who has been late, not turned up, sent him annoying emails - and whatever else we people do to annoy and frustrate him.

Fortunately, I'm not overweight (well, maybe a couple of kilos) and don't smoke, so if I remember all the things that annoy him I might be safe :-)

So pleased it hasn't affected his magic.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

That doesnt sound like the Yanto I met 28/7/12, he was full of energy and made me laugh all the way through my treatment.

As it turned out, he ended up fixing some chronic issues I had been managing for nearly 20 years.

My wife, who has a medical background, and I could not believe the results I got in just one week of seeing Yanto, especially after seeing many Chiros, Physios and Osteos over the years and getting no releif from them.

I now walk better than before and have been able to exercise to my full ability.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,370 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

That's wonderful news Adam - you wouldn't have minded paying what a lot of people consider to be his grossly inflated fee to obtain such a fantastic result.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,005 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

Well, on the encouragement of friends I went to see him a few years ago for a ligament problem in my leg. He was courteous, soft spoken and friendly. However, he didn't listen at all to what I was telling him about previous treatments and didn't listen to what the problem actually was. He said one leg was longer than the other and proceeded to yank my leg hard to elongate it and twisted it in various different ways. It was very painful and he insisted that it would get miraculously better the next day.

Long story short, I experienced severe additional pain in my ligaments (myofascial syndrome) for the next few weeks that was ten times worse than what I had going in. He repeatedly called me to ask when I was coming in again and if I felt good. He was genuinely surprised when I told him I was in a lot of pain and had been having trouble walking after his one session.

This was about 5 years ago and the fee then was about rp 400,000 or so. My Australian trained licensed physical therapist at the time was only rp 200,000 and I did get amazing results from the therapist.

I do think that for certain people and certain conditions he is ok, but can exacerbate other problems.

Perth Australia
Level Contributor
1,061 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

My experience wasn't good and I couldn't wait to get out of there, I even walked of without paying he had to call me back. That's how fast I wanted to leave.

I'm confused letmeholiday you said a gentle old man the one I had wasn't old.

Here is the question do you think we are getting different Yanto's ? lol

cheers Sue

Cabarita Beach...
Level Contributor
1,082 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Yanto ~ Did I get him on a bad day ?

Hey Sue, if my memory serves me correct, Yanto told me he was late sixties.

Cheers, Nelly