We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gluten Free experiences?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gluten Free experiences?

Hello all - I am travelling to Bali in Aug and this time will be taking our kids. One has Coeliac disease and am interested in finding out if anyone has had success explaining to the locals what GF is. I know The Padma are Gluten Free friendly and have a special GF menu at their Italian restaurant. I have been given a translation card from the Coeliac Society which should help...I hope. I am planning on bringing lots of bits from Oz in case we get stuck. In case anyone in the same situation is travelling before we go, I'd love to hear how you went and where you went for meals. Thanks in anticipation! x

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

Hi woohoo

Most places state gluten free on the menu.....makes life a bit easier

Plus they always have plenty of fresh food and salads, so it will be easy for you to order, I found that asking for somthing usually wasnt an issue they would just make it up (just be very clear but the translation card will be excellent)

Also hit the supermarkets for snacks etc...... we had no probs at all hope that helps a bit

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

Hey there tastfulcookie

Thanks for your reply. Can you remember any of the places / restaurants that you noticed GF showing on the menu and what locations they were in. I haven't yet seen it anywhere except Padma and Dynasty. We will be staying in Legian area.

As far as shopping goes, did you find the labels harder to decipher in Bali? Were they in English? I know we have stricter labelling laws here in Oz that give us more of a description of origin of contents and wasn't sure if the warning statements were used over there?

Thanks again!

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

Not in Legian, we stay mostly in Benoa and Nusa Dua.....

You may just want to stick to thoes resturants if you dont come across any others, but im pretty sure there will be more in Legian.

As for labels...the balinese products are difficult to tell whats inside and its only in there language often times with big white stickers saying god knows what over the ingredients.....pretty hard unless you know what it is. You can buy products from OZ in the International isle at Carrafour small sellection but enough to get you throught the hols, and also the supermarket inside Bali Galleria

Cheers

No warning sign from memory, just be really aware as I have made some mistakes myself, some of there products are loaded with msg and heaps of addatives, I dont like that for my little one.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,946 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

My daughter has severe food allergies and we travel to many countries with her. To be honest, despite having 'official' translation cards and translations clearly written in Bahasa (or what ever language we need) by our balinese friends things often get lost in translation. No matter how clearly our daughters condition and dietary needs are explained we still strike a lot of trouble.

The best restaurants we find are ones in larger resorts where management staff are european and have a greater understanding or special diets.

We take a lot of food with us and buy fresh food from the larger supermarkets such as carrefour.

hardrock hotel in kuta provide gluten free options

also search the forum as this topic has been discussed before.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

We were in Legian in January with our celiac daughter. Took our own pasta and pizza bases. We ate at Mozzarellas on Jl Padma quite a few times. They were fantastic and understood exactly what she could and couldn't eat, and even gave her a doggie bag. Make sure you book as it is sometimes hard to get a table. Good luck!

6. Re: Gluten Free experiences?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:41
Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations