We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers To Bali

Sydney
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Topic
1st Timers To Bali

Hi TA's

My Hubby and i have been to Phuket and just loved it .

Could someone please convince me why we should go to Bali and not go back to Phuket.

We are a family of 4 ( me,hubby,mr 19 and miss 16 ). we are not looking for a "kiddies" resort or a villa, just nice resort accom.

We were looking at Legian/Kuta/Tuban..

We will be on a bit of a tight budget as such so probably on want to spend $120-$150 per night for the 4 of us if thats possible.

We would be going Jan 2014 ( Yep such a long time away) for approx 8-10 nights...

So c'mon convince me why we should come to Bali :)

Cheers Yvettesky

perth
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

cause you havent been before!

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Why Legian/Kuta/Tuban? Are you into shopping, nightlife & sunbathing or do you want to see the more cultural side of Bali?

Sydney
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Hi we were thinking Kuta/Legian/Tuban for 5 nights and then maybe Candidasa or Ubud for 5 nights

Chatham, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

That sounds like a plan, please don't spend the whole time in the busy touristy areas, get out and find the REAL Bali, especially for your first time here. Chill with the locals, and find out why so many of us love this spectacular country.

Sydney
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Thanks very much for your replies :)...we will absolutely be getting out to see the real Bali :)

Yvettesky

Miranda, Sydney
Level Contributor
3,346 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

IMO I don't think Cadi Dasa is really geared towards teens - a little too quiet.

Just my view only. You might like to consider Nusa Lembongan along with Legian.

Cheers,

Sandy

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Bali is quite different to Phuket.

I am sure you will love Bali as well.

Have stayed in Kuta/Legian and would never stay there again. (not that I did not like Legian)

There are places like Sanur which I found really nice.

Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Yep definitely head out to Nusa Lembogan & mix it with Legian...you can still see the 'real' Bali from Kuta/Legian as long as you get out of your hotel and get a driver to show you around. I'm the opposite...getting ready for my 3rd trip to Bali and considering a trip to Phuket but wondering why I would when I love Bali so much!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,663 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Bali and Phuket are as different as apples and Julia Gillard's earlobes.

You've not mentioned where you stayed in Phuket to like it so much, but generally accom prices in Bali are lower. Phuket has the better beaches and sea generally, but in Bali you aren't shoe-horned onto the beaches with sunbeds mere centimetres apart and 3 or 4 rows deep like in Phuket. The beach sellers in certainly Legian are a heck of a lot more persistent than Phuket.

What Bali has that Phuket doesn't is the Balinese Hinduism that permeates everyday life, from the little rice offerings on the streets outside shops and houses to the ceremonies that you stumble upon, to the Balinese architecture.

IMHO, the Balinese are perhaps a little easier and friendlier to interact with, although you still can feel like a walking ATM at times.

The demographic in Phuket is more European/Russian than Bali, where certainly in Legian/Kuta you'll encounter fellow Aussies by the pouch-load.

Don't compare the two and see them for what they are, essentially different countries and cultures, and you'll be fine.

Difficult to say whether your itinerary is suitable though without knowing what your expectations are for your destination. As Sandy alludes, Candi Dasa is pretty quiet for 2 teens, but it depends what you're looking for.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,705 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timers To Bali

Happynoodles,

I don't agree with you that the Balinese are friendlier, in fact I find them to be much more aggressive than the Thais.