We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling alone in Bali

Oakland, California
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Traveling alone in Bali

Hi,

I'll be traveling alone to bali( staying in legian). Does anyone have any tips on safety( I'm a woman), places to eat, bars, massages, etc.? Thanks!! :) ill be in Legian for one week and Ubud one week. Also, has anyone taken a taxi from Legian to Ubud? If so what is the going rate and how safe is it for a woman traveling solo?

UP2U Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Windy Sun Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Rip Curl School Of Surf
Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Scuba & Snorkeling
High Wycombe...
Level Contributor
13 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

Hi,

I'm also travelling alone to Legian in August this year. Not been before, but all the reviews I've seen indicate that it's fine for female solo's. Obviously take the usual precautions re: drinks at night etc.. but I don't think there's a need for any extra-ordinary security.

Don't know about places to eat / drink yet, but will be checking out the reviews on here soon!

Have fun - hope you have a fabulous holiday. :-)

Singapore, Singapore
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

Hi,

Bali is actually safe but still need to careful, just some info maybe useful is ; better to put all your valuable stuffs in the hotel safety box (just bring what you need),don't drink top water, just drink water in bottle, when you go to the bar make sure nothing left, when you change your money much better do it in the Hotel but if you can look for Central Kuta to get better rate, if possible don't change your money on the street money changer as some of them try to take more your money, for the taxi is about Rp.300.000 or USD35.

Hope this info could assist, thanks

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

You will be fine. A driver from Legian to Ubud will cost 180-200,00rp, NOT 300,000rp. Money changers are better than the hotel for rates, but don't be fooled into thinking the high rates are the best, they are usually shonky. Let us know where you are staying and we can tell you where to go to exchange money safely and good places to eat.

Just be as alert as you would be in any country and take the same precautions you do as a woman in your own town.

Don't tell males you are solo or where you are staying. :)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

"posers pub" and "billys bar" are good places to eat or drink in legian, should be able to find on TA

South Australian...
Level Contributor
743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

Stealth WA, please tell me you not recommending two of the most bogan places around.

Bali is a great place for a woman to travel alone.

Have a great time... I agree with the advice of not telling men (such as taxi drivers etc) you are alone, and where you're staying, but that's just common sense.

6. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 05:05
london
Level Contributor
976 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

Hi there

I have been to Bali on several occasions with my hubby and once by myself for diving. You will be absolutely fine. We did a Komodo live aboard to and from Bali the year before last and there were several female divers traveling by themselves. All had a wonderful time. Ubud is a very girly town and we have seen and met numerous women all having a great time. We also saw some male partners looking a bit bored in the shops and markets and temples LOL !!!

Have a wonderful time.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

@fionabog, I would not say posers or billys are "bogan" as you call it. I dont know what makes you think it is "bogan". Please explain.

Perth
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

I go to Bali at least twice a year and usually solo (been back 2 weeks from my last solo Bali sojourn). I have never had any issues that made me feel unsafe...ever. I LOVE travelling solo! My first solo was at 19...I'm now 47! Sometimes I allow a tag-a-long (last year Mum, next trip 22yo son...hubby may get a look in soon).

In the past 29 years of Bali travel I have had a handful of unpleasant experiences with a couple of shops, money changers, a taxi driver and a dodgy hotel...but taken it all in my stride and absolutely no worse than some of my Australian experiences (can't blame Bali!). And often these issues could have been avoided if I had discovered TA earlier and read all their great advice (i.e. don't go to dodgy money changers). So make sure you read all those tips...could save you some grief!

I have encountered some of the nicest drivers over the years (except for the abovementioned taxi driver that tried to overcharge us...don't mess with Deb!!)...and never felt concerned as a lone female. Some really sweet older guys that proudly talked about their kids & grandkids and showed photos and seemed so happy with life. That's what is special about Bali!

I certainly don't take risks...but I certainly go out and have a good time!

I actually feel safer on the streets of Kuta & Ubud at night than I do in some areas of Fremantle & Northbridge (WA)...

I have been known to say "my husband's back in the room"...even though the "room" may be in Australia...but I can't say I have felt I needed to, sometimes it just saved any questions or issues arising (i.e. I'm not trying to pick up:) .

Have a great time...and TA is also a great place to post if you want to meet up with like-minded travellers. I have done this before and it's fun just to catch up for a drink with another die-hard TA solo traveller and ponder what Whinnie & Cempaka's real names are (hehe).

nunya
Level Contributor
6,873 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling alone in Bali

i agree with stealth , nothing wrong with billys , it's a lovely place to have a quiet drink in the day , can get noisy at night , but not unlike any other place with a band !

Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations