We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
17 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Hi all, any help you can give me would be much appreciated.... We are a family wanting to visit an orphanage in Bali. Previously we have visited Hope Orphanage which was a very positive experience but we are wanting to visit a different one this time, maybe closer to the Kuta area.... I have done a bit of research into various ones around but have found a few of them to be scams, so would love to hear from anyone that can vouch for an orphanage in Balli. Thanks!

UP2U Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Windy Sun Surf School Bali
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Rip Curl School Of Surf
Kayaking & Canoeing, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Scuba & Snorkeling
Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,732 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Sorry to ask what might seem like a dumb question, Kristyleet, but why do you want to visit an orphanage? In what way was your previous visit a positive experience?

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g608487-i12329-…

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Don't treat an orphanage as a human zoo !!

http://www.facebook.com/ChildSafe.Network

Rome
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

http://ykpa.org

the founder is a local woman called putu and her australian husband.

we all try to help them as much as we can.

if you wish to do your bit go and visit them

thank you

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
20,732 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Thankyou Bepergian for writing what I was thinking. Thank you also Linda, the poster in the link by Humpo. My pont exactly! I think that anybody who wants to assist children who are in orphanages in Bali (many of whom aren't orphans at all) needs to do some very careful research as j_Hurcules suggested to ensure that their gifts of goods and/or cash are being used as meant rather than lining the pockets of unscrupulous people.

It's also very important to give in such a way that the children are not being treated as a tourist interest which is demeaning and disruptive.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

look up the Jodie O'shea orphanage.....developed in memory of Jodie who lost her life in the Bali bombings. they are a non profit orphanage and recieve no grants etc....they rely solely on donations and volunteers. One of the orphanages where you know the gifts of material goods or cash go straight to the kids.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

I find that comment about treating a visit to an orphanage like going to the zoo offensive. My husband am I are going to Bali in 1 week and we will spend a day at a orphanage to donate our time and money to some helpless children who need love and attention. Not to gawk at them...

Australia
Level Contributor
35 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

I agree with Nomiki21... to say that tourists treat orphanages as a human zoo is down right insulting!!! I too am planning on visiting orphanage in June and have been asked why don;t I do this closer to home.. well i do! I am a very proud foster carer to young babies and toddlers so feel like visiting one in another country merely an extension of that. I have done a lot of research and emailed the director of one in particular for a list of items they are needing at this point in time. If you are wanting this list please msg me and I would be more than happy to pass it on to you for this particular Orphanage.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

It's not necessarily insulting, unfortunately there are more tourists who see a visit to an orphanage as fun thing for their kids to see than those who have a genuine and respectful motive. Too many want to bowl up , fling some clothing off cuts and used toys at the smiling faces of the inmates so they can take snaps of their children being magnanimous, then leave, never to concern themselves with the place again. It has become part of a Bali tour for too many.

South Australian...
Level Contributor
743 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Sorry, but I agree totally with Linda. Even if you're intentions are well meaning, it's such an insulting thing to do. Kids in orphanages are actually NOT there for westeners entertainment.

IF you want to help people, a far better way to do it is to quietly ask your local friends for families that they know are doing it hard. At least that way it's far less offensive. We send our donations to a local imam who knows which families in his congregation are in tough times, and it's done anonymously.

Get answers to your questions about Legian
Recent Conversations