We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
17 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Hi all, any help you can give me would be much appreciated.... We are a family wanting to visit an orphanage in Bali. Previously we have visited Hope Orphanage which was a very positive experience but we are wanting to visit a different one this time, maybe closer to the Kuta area.... I have done a bit of research into various ones around but have found a few of them to be scams, so would love to hear from anyone that can vouch for an orphanage in Balli. Thanks!

Level Contributor
1 post
25 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

How about if you would like to educate your child by introducing them to children at the orphanage? trying to install a sense of empathy, as well as assisting the orphanage with donation and or time.?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Another really welcome gift are reading glasses. Ask your friends or check op shops.

We visited the Yayasan Bumi Sehat, a birthing hospital in Ubud that gives Balinese mums a safe environment to have their babies. We were just dropping off a suitcase of baby clothes and gifts and had no intention of doing more. The nurse bundled up 2 lots of clothes and baby stuff and took us in to give the gifts to the mums and dads and their new babies. I felt a bit embarrassed but we were so welcomed and they were so proud to show us their beautiful babies.

My favourite, legit and needy charity is Solemen. The amazing work they do is inspirational and humbling. See their facebook or website.

Glenelg, Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
33. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

baliadvertiser.biz/articles/…orphanage.html

Brent has his to say about the following orphanages, “When their kids are sick they seek medical attention from Bali Kids or others straight away. They embrace health education and do care about the kids under their care. These orphanages are always in reasonable condition or always improving.”

* Sidhi Astu (Franciscan) at Tuka

* Maria Goretti at Palasari(Catholic)

* Miftahul in Singaraja (Muslim),

* Salam Orphanage in Tabanan

* Jody O’Shea in Denpasar

* Salvation Army Girls in Denpasar,

* Elisma in Denpasar and Singaraja

The best way to help other orphanages is by donation in cash and kind to transparent and ethical organizations like Bali Kids www.balikids.org, the John Fawcett Foundation www.balieye.org, Bumi Sehat www.bumisehatbali.org and High 5 www.high5rehab.org. These organizations never give money to the facilities but provide services directly to the children.

34. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 February 2014, 06:35
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Really I hope the people who wrote that crap about orphanages being a tourist spot see this. Only someone with an equally

Demented mind would think that. I am taking 40kgs of beautiful used clothing, sporting goods and toys to kids who need it I never would have seen that as human zoos!! The reason I don't do this in Australia is because there is welfare, medical care etc we pay taxes to pay for it but I do soup kitchens etc . Really are you that synical it's called being NICE you should try it the one day if you need help some one like me might try to if you don't mind me seeing you!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
689 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Good for you. Solemen in Bali do lots of wonderful outreach work with disadvantaged, disabled and underprivileged children and adults. They welcome with open arms such generosity. There is a rubbish dump in Sanur that most of us will never see and the conditions the people live in there is dreadful. Solemen help a lot. If you or anyone PM's me I will send their contact details.

Perth
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Candiceandkent please read travelkats post (no.26)! It is unsettling for the children when someone lovely and kind comes into their life and then just leaves again. It sounds like you are that lovely and kind person but being abandoned is already an issue for these children

No one is suggesting donations are not needed and welcomed but some orphanages promote "tours" where the welfare of the children is second to obtaining money via various forms.

Just think long and hard on how a visit could impact the children not just when they are in the orphanage but after they leave (possibly being way to trusting of tourists because they have been kind to them before)! There are ways to donate without having to actually visit.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,964 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Thank you Hunter for your comments. That is exactly what I was trying to get across.

I completely agree with Candiceandkent that giving to local charities in Australia is a completely different issue as there are many organisations and government bodies available here to assist people in need whereas in third world countries such as Bali, this does not exist.

It's wonderful when people care enough to donate goods and even cash to places such as orphanages but it's also vitally important for the donors to do their research to ensure that the donations are used as they are intended.

No, Candiceandkent, we who are cautious do not have demented minds but are sadly aware that there are situations where children in these facilities are sometimes used to tug at the heart strings of well meaning people and the children don't benefit but the people who run some of these places live very well indeed on the proceeds of what is "orphanage tourism".

Please don't be put off by my comments, but I entreat you to do your research to ensure that what you've gone to a great deal of trouble, care and cost to provide is used in the way you intend.

Edited: 15 March 2014, 10:24
Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

OMG some people on here are so small minded. Genuine people who want to 'help' others do not have the intension you suggest in mind. So are you saying stay away? leave them to it? heard of a 'village to raise a child'.... I help local families and will visit and hang at an orphanage when my kids need my time less. I m a teacher and if I can encourage children to read, draw or anything that gives them a sense of achievement I will do so. You are small minded!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Which Orphanage to visit in Bali??

Kellyjudd I don't think you have understood what the issue is with well meaning people visiting orphanages. May I suggest you look into it a little more and even perhaps discuss it with the orphanage you "hang" at. I find it hard to believe that anyone actually involved in spending serious time with a children's home could not be fully aware of the complex issues of allowing tourists to visit and present their donations

Get answers to your questions about Legian