We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st question of many for 1st trip????

manchester...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
1st question of many for 1st trip????

hi there...........so here goes my 1st question is

how can i find out which islands have sea barriers as we are planning this holiday around 'calmness of the seas'......

weve to many resorts ( not maldives ) and have had rough sea to swim in.........hubby snorkels i dont

so this would be our first choice....

i just like to swim in calm blue seas.....the flatter the better....

2nd question which i know will have been asked many times before ....but i will do the search later... but maybe u can answer this also....

the calm seas must depend on which time of season u go ????

we can cope with the heat / humidty etc etc...

so there must be a seasonal time when there is less rain ????

thanks very much....

we have not really decided on the month to visit nxt yr as yet....we are still planning this

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
63 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

The sea around all the Maldives islands is never very rough,

well not rough enough to stop you swimming. seasons are changing as all over the world, but before the middle of May is a good time and from late Sept.There are 2 Monsoon seasons, depending on North or South, although i would ask an expert such as Emu72, or in the box top left put in weather and there will be lots that come up. Although we have been in late may early june on a number of occassions with no problems. of course you will pay a premium for going at these times.the weather is not realty an issue with the Maldives, as even the locals are now confused as it is wet in the dry and visa versa.

Hope this helps.

Rumps

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Have you got a dual personality or something Rumps? Thought you were a dog called Rumpole - not a Merseygirl! I am sooooo confused..

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Hi Rumps (or can I call you Brenda?)

Golden rule of forums: always make sure you are loogged in as yourself before you reply!

Liverpool GB.
Level Contributor
7,430 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

I was so shocked , Brenda very rarley uses the forum , not like my good self, LOL LOL.

R

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Hi,

Google earth views of islands here:-

http://www.malediven.net/maps/index.htm

Islands with sea barriers disturb the natural flow of the Maldives and affect the reefs (and scenery) so my advice would be to avoid islands with barriers (as you put it).

As rumps (merseygirl - lol) says no real rough sea inside the lagoons of the island resorts, rough seas can be seen at any time outside the atolls, as this is after all the Indian Ocean! But rest assured that any resort island will have calm seas - apart from when it rains really hard, this then answers your second question... calmer seas are seen in northeast monsoon (Dec -Apr) but generally Dec & Jan have stronger winds so with it choppier seas, a good bet is Mar-Apr when the sea is usually very calm with no wind!, this then makes the Maldives feel really hot (answering quesiton 3).

Seasonal time with less rain....officially it is Dec -Apr (northeast monsoon) but really a gamble any time of year (global warming etc etc). my choice would be Mar or beginning of April for the weather you are looking for, but taking a gamble could mean you will get what your looking for any time of year.

;-)

Emu

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
10,283 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Great views of the islands there on that website Emu - thanks...but no Reethi Beach! Have I mentioned I am excited about going to RB on July 20th???

Haydock, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Stayed on Kuramathi Island a few years ago.

It's one of the biggest Islands and has a coral reef up the length of one side. This side of the island had the calmest waters, with no breaking waves.

I haven't stayed on any other island but this was excellent for me as I am not a strong swimmer and was able to snorkle in calm water and close to shore.

http://www.kuramathi.com/

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

Hi Woodybark,

never guessed you were excited lol ;-)

Reethi is covered in cloud last time the satellite took photos in that area, still waiting thou!

9. Re: 1st question of many for 1st trip????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 15:16
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi
Recent Conversations