We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

hemel hempstead
2 posts
Save Topic
Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

Hi all - have been reading your reviews and Q&A's... some very helpful stuff in there :)

I have booked a Deluxe Beach Villa with Jacuzzi on the a la carte AI... to make sure of that extra luxury needed for a Honeymoon. But I was wondering if there is more I can do... (bearing in mind I am now skint until 2013).

I have a couple of questions that you may be able to help me with...

Which, if any are the best DBVJ's to chose? specific numbers or ranges would be appreciated - I have heard some are open to the path while others are hidden under vegetation... We would like to tan on our deck - but also like a little privacy too ;)

What restaurant should I book in advance for our first night? Want to get a feel for the island - the romantic meals can wait a day or two :)

From a DBVJ - can you take your lounges onto the beach? have been reading mixed reports on this topic...

Is there somewhere on the island I can buy a lilo or something similar? - The Mrs has a thing for them and we are coming in by sea plane so the luggage restrictions mean we can't bring one from the UK...

Any island restaurants, wildlife(bugs), etiquette, excursions or packing do's and don'ts - or any Kuramathi advice in general to help me ensure a smooth, 'once-in-a-lifetime' trip?

Thanks in advance! we leave this Saturday with Sri Lanka Airlines from Heathrow... any tips on getting an upgrade?

Cheers,

Robinson79

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

Hi robinson 79

Haven't been to Kuramathi so can't help with Qs re villas. However, I'm not sure why you can't take a lilo with you. I've done this many times in the past without any problems. They can be a bit weighty I'll grant you, but you really need so little in the way of clothing that with some fairly determined culling, you will be able to fit one in! It will cost you an arm and a leg if you buy one on the island as everything is imported and mega expensive.

With regards to getting an upgrade on Sri Lankan - do let me know if you are successful. We've been trying for years and never managed it yet!

SL

WEST YORKS
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

Hi, just got back from Kuramathi and you won' be disappointed - the DBV's are great - to be honest not sure on numbers but they are lovely.

As far as your OH - I took a lilo with me - you honestly don't need many clothes....flip flops, casual maxi dresses for evening (not you!!!), bikins and sarongs for during the day - you seriously are so chilled out and my husband went to all the fine dining restaurants in shorts (nice shorts) not beach shorts and a linen shirt and his flip flops - that was the beauty of the whole holiday. Even at lunch if you eat at The Palm you can tell her she can sit with her sarong on - so she will have plenty space for her lilo - I would really advise getting one from Argos before you go - not sure I saw them there - but I may be wrong.

You book your restaurants 2 days ahead from the day you get there - they are all fab, especially The Reef and The Island BBQ - The Palm is the Italian and great for lunch.

Have a fabulous time and congrats - if you need any more info just ask.

Oh - I would take a good mosi repellant and wear it day and night - I didn't get bitten but quite a few people did.

London
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

Romantic restaurants - first choice would be The Reef (beachfront, small and intimate); joint second choice would be Island Barbeque (dishes flambéed at your table) or the Palm Pizzeria (the most spacious and chilled out venue). Book as soon as you arrive (they should help you do this when you check in) - when we left The Reef was fully booked for the next two days.

Pack lots of mosquito repellent. Your other half may want to pack a wrap if there are any cool breezes in the evening. You won't need power adaptors (UK sockets), shoes (seriously - no need at all), beach towels (provided) or a beach bag (one provided per villa). Take a hat, some US dollars for tipping (porters, room cleaners and any regular waiters), and if you plan on snorkelling (which you should do) a waterproof camera.

And if the weather is anything like it was when we left yesterday, lots and lots of aftersun...

Edited: 06 January 2011, 10:18
suffolk
Level Contributor
3,652 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

All this talk about lilos reminded me of a thread a couple of years ago that seemed to go on for ever just babbling about nothing! Quite amusing though.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298326-i9288-k2…

John

hemel hempstead
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

Thanks guys! really appreciate your responses :)

I have no doubt it will all be absolutely amazing - neither of us can wait!!

I will take your advice to pack less clothing and more mozzy repellant :) If I can find a lilo in Argos in the depths of winter I will take one with.

Thanks again!

6. Re: Off on Honeymoon! Can you help make it even more special?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2011, 06:27