We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Hi,

Does anybody know the charges for excess baggage when taking the sea plane transfer? Our TA has advised us that 20kgs is the limit while our main transfers with Emirates allow us 30kgs.

Many Thanks

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Hi

Seaplane luggage allowance is 20kg for suitcases etc plus a further 5kg for handluggage. Excess charges vary between $2 and $4 a kilo, depending whether you are flying with Maldivian Air Taxis orTrans Maldivian Airways.

OD

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

TMA I believe now serve Kuramathi which is $2 per kg.

But I think it depends on how busy and how full the seaplane is.

Just be prepared for it anyhow.

John

Glasgow, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Thank you. Response is appreciated.

Lesley

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

As OD and John say its 20kg hold + 5kg hand , it doesn't matter what your airline to the maldives allow you. However the excess charge is only payable once at the seaplane terminal so it covers your return trip.

In March this year we were charged but the plane was full to the extent only some of our groups hold luggage travelled with us, the rest arrived on a later flight. So make sure you have necessities in your hand luggage just in case.

Sg

London, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Just to put a spanner in the works...We flew in with Emirates this year end Feb with 40 kgs a piece on our way to Madivaru.

They weighed our cases at the seaplane check in desk and just waved us thou......Bizarre really I was expecting to pay........not sure why......any comments.

Jacable42 ;-)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

....and on the flip side - it isn't always 20kg plus 5kg hand luggage. TMA have charged us for being over 20kg the last 2 years in a row. The year before they charged us nothing despite being about 10kg over. It's a bit random, but only a couple of dollars in it so nothing to worry about in the scale of things.

Ian

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

I have the feeling that some of the higher end resorts pick up the tab for their guests excess luggage charges.

OD

W Yorks Uk
Level Contributor
16 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

HI there everyone.

This is all really useful info.

I'm going on honeymoon to Sri Lanka flying tomorrow and then onto Kuramathi but I'm worried about the things we buy in Sri Lanka will tip us over the limit.

Our Kuoni details advise that the seaplane is 20 kilo's each including hand luggage which seems really strict. 20k in the hold and 5k hand luggage sounds fairer but 20k for a fortnight away in two totally different climates seems harsh.

It also states $4 per kilo for being over which doubles the price charged by some of the people on here.

I'm really looking forward to buying trinkets, wooden elephants and buddhas in Sri Lanka and would be gutted if it cost a fortune just to get them on the sea plane when the international flight limits would be ok.

Any advice?

Many thanks

Amy x

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
210 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

We had 52kg of luggage in total and didn't get charged a thing on the seaplane and it was full - what can i say i own lots of bikinis ;)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sea Plane - Excess Baggage Charges

Whether you are charged or not seems to depend on several things - the island you are going to, how many people there are on the plane and the mood the check-in guy is in! A bit random I know, but hey, it's the Maldives! 'Officially' the seaplane allowance is 20kg hold and 5 kg hand luggage with an excess charge of $4 per kilo. I know this can seem harsh, especially given the International airline limits, but you have to appreciate that you'll be flying in a small float plane that doesn't have the same 'lift' power as a jumbo jet, and with fuel costs as they are...... You could always investigate how much it would cost to send your souvenirs home from Sri Lanka, but then of course you've got customs to cope with and the time it takes etc, apart from the cost.

SL

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi