We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20kg allowance on sea planes

Sidcup,Kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
20kg allowance on sea planes

How strict are the seaplanes in regards to the maximun 20 kg baggage allowance? Kuoni have said that the 20 kg allowance includes the weigh of hand luggage. Kuoni have said that if our luggage is over then the only way to get our luggage to the island is for the luggage to travel on the speedboat whilst we still catch the seaplane. Has anyone been over the 20 kg allowance and had to do this or are the seaplanes not too strict if you are a few kilos over?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

You are allowed 20kg plus 5kg hand luggage, sometimes! Sometimes only 20kg in total, sometimes you'll get 30 kg through. We've had all 3 versions over the years and to be honest it's no big deal either way. Depending on seaplane company the charges are (or were last July) $2 or $4 per kilo over the allowance, so it's not megabucks.

We've always had our luggage come with us on the seaplane, and we've always been over the allowance. Sometimes your luggage may follow later by boat, so it's best to pop a change of clothes in your hand luggage just in case.

Ian

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

The seaplane companies, like most other establishments in the Maldives are extremely laid back.....if you are a few kilos over it shouldn't be too much of a catastrophe. You may get charged a few dollars per kilo overweight but then again, you may not.

It is quite possible that your luggage may follow you by other means although this will be nothing to do with the fact you may be a kilo or two over (equally it could get there before you) so just make sure you have a set of beachwear in your hand luggage.

Don't forget to keep your camera with you.

John

Edit....Ian beat me to it cos someone just came in and talked to me!!

Edited: 04 March 2012, 15:10
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

Also, make sure you have some small denomination $ in your pocket just in case you get charged for being at or over weight. It really does seem to depend on lots of factors as to whether you get charged or not:- how many on the plane; which island you're going to; whether the check in guy is having a bad day or not.......!! As said, not mega bucks in any case.

Have some sunscreen in your hand luggage as well, as you sometimes have a bit of a wait on the pontoon before your boat arrives to take you from the landing stage to the island, and who wants to wait on the plane??!!

SL

Sidcup,Kent
Level Contributor
9 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

We were wondering how to pack our cases under the 20 kg allowances and were getting concerned as we are NEVER under the allowance. But now we will pack as we do normally; as if we are charged a few $ for being over the allowance OR if the luggage has to travel by speedboat......... it really does not matter. We are now going to make sure though that we have a small amount of clothing packed in our hand luggage. Your advise has been invaluable.... THANK YOU!!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

I don't know if you have been to the Maldives before but if you haven't then do not pack like any other holiday. You certainly won't need much in the way of footwear - couple of pairs of flip flops max, you won't needs lots of 'dressy' clothes as it's very laid back, smart casual at best (IMO). 20kg's each is more than sufficient for the Maldives.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

How to pack Maldives style......pack your suitcases then take half out and leave at home. You still won't wear half of what you take.

John

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

Unless you are divers there is absolutely no need for your luggage to be anywhere near overweight. You'll live in swimwear - T & shorts over the top for breakfast, same at lunch or even a strategically tied sarong for the ladies. Smarter shorts/3/4's and T or shirt for the evening for men; same for ladies or maybe a floaty fairly casual dress/skirt & top. 2 or 3 of everything and that's you sorted for clothes! As said, max 2 pairs flipflops - you may end up only wearing them if the sand or walkway is too hot. Definately no heels of any description! Loads of sunscreen, mossie repellant, toiletries, snorkel and mask, some sort of first aid/medical kit and you're done. You don't really even need to take books as the island libraries generally have a good range. Our cases tend to weigh in at about 16 - 18Kg and we DO take books simply to help update the libraries! And we still bring back stuff we haven't worn.

SL

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

20kgs each, I reckon we could do that between us this year (excluding my dive kit of course).

Honestly, it's so hot all the time that I just lived in some stretchy fine cotton trousers or leggings and long vest tops, I never wore HALF the stuff I took, probably helps that I spend around half the day in the sea though....

Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,365 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

Hi

I know I may have been harping on about it too much recently, but Hilton Irufushi gives you a 25kg hold luggage plus 5kg hand luggage allowance.

Roll on May because I need some Maldivian sun !

Thanks

Richard from PurelyMaldives

australia
Level Contributor
551 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 20kg allowance on sea planes

I'm always over with luggage with the seaplane.. But I travel with kids and a stroller .. Whilst I'm not over with the international flight the seaplane weighed our pram and any other baby stuff and included it so we go over.

However I never worry about it as its like $2 a kg.. And then they took money off last time being nice that we had a baby and my pram alone is 10kg.. So I wouldn't worry about the extra cost .. In the scheme of things $50 wasn't worth worry about to not take what I needed!

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi