We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a few questions before we book...

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
177 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
a few questions before we book...

My partner and I are very close to booking Kuramathi for our honeymoon next August - we found a great price with Travel Lab which seems too good to be true!

Just a few questions we have though -

1) What is the snorkeling like for beginners?! We have snorkeled a few times on previous holidays to the Caribbean a good few years ago - but these were mainly guided tours in very specific places for tourists etc. so I imagine the Maldives will be different to this. We are confident swimmers - and will hopefully be staying in a Jacuzzi Water Villa.

2) We have been quoted a great price for a jacuzzi water villa (which is definitely what we wanted - given to us through free upgrade) but on basic all inclusive. Now my partner and I aren't huge foodies or wine drinkers - if we go out for a meal we will only ever have a main course (occasionally a starter or dessert to share) so we don't think it is too important that we upgrade as we may just pay for a few meals whilst we are there as the prices don't look too expensive. So my question is - what are the buffets like on the island? Also - if we did decide to upgrade, does anyone know how much this is to do on the island?

3) No room service/alcohol in rooms - I notice that with travel lab we get a honeymoon special of a fruit basket, 4 course meal and a bottle of sparkling wine - would this wine be left in our room does anyone know, or presented with the meal? And if not in the room - is there any way of buying a bottle of champagne and taking it back to the room? Just we would like to enjoy this on the decking of the jacuzzi water villa one evening.

Any other tips/info etc. about Kuramathi before we book would also be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the long post

I look forward to your replies.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a few questions before we book...

Caribbean snorkelling would be 2 out of ten. Kuramathi , on the same scale would be 157 out of ten. No comparison -and ive ben to most caribbean islands for snorkeling and diving. Not the greatest reef but certainly enough to blow u away as first timers. (more sharks at Kuramathi than all the other islands I have been to combined).

The buffets are OK. But thats it, They are OK. The same as most Maldivian buffets are OK. The Maldivain night and curry night buffets are especially good. I really cant impress on you enough that for food, ambiance, variety, if you dont go select AI you will regret it. Plus you get wine by the bottle. And you can have lunch at the Palm which has the best fresh tuna, ice creams and sorbets and puizzas u will ever taste. We had a bottle of wine with dinner (and lunch). Ordered a second bottle and took it to the room and put in the mini bar for having a glass getting ready in the evenings and when back in the room for a midnight dip in the jacuzzi, glass of wine in hand. On leaving the a la carte resturants, the extra bottle would go hidden into the bushes and be picked up en route back to the villa from the bars. Sparkiling wine/fruit is in the room for honeymmooners - meal will be on the beach or somewhere romantic. You can order a bottle of champagne in the restaurants and it will be put on your room bill (very expensive i might add). Example - a NZ sauvignon blanc in Tesco was £9 but $85 on the list (plus 18% taxes). On select AI, you get 20% off the wines on the "expensive list". I suppose you could smuggle it back to the room as we did the wine.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a few questions before we book...

we found it cheaper to upgrade before you go.

make sure you take at least your own masks/snorkels and take the seaplane. The boat is at least 1 hr 30 - 1 hr 40 as opposed to the 25 min plane. (worth every penny). The boat is torture for that amount of time, especially you are almost completely crossing a sea channel so not in the protected atoll waters.

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,422 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a few questions before we book...

Paul - For the record what type of boat does Kuramathi use for the crossing these days? (if you know). When we went in 2003 and 2005 we took a boat crossing and it was a fairly smooth affair in a rather large speedboat.

On our recent Ellaidhoo crossing 'torture' would be a good description, as although a similar transfer time to Kuramathi the boat was much smaller (albeit a lot more modern) and very very jolty!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a few questions before we book...

golly i dont dont other than it looks the same as you describe - bigger than say the type Biyadhoo uses.

netherlands
Level Contributor
259 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a few questions before we book...

Of course everyone has their own opinion on buffets in the Maldives, but we found the buffet at Kuramathi to be very good. Yes, it's not the same as sitting in a small restaurant and eating a la carte, but we found the food to be tasty and a lot of variety every day. We also just ate at a restaurant a couple of times during our stay and found that fine. I guess it depends what your priorities are.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a few questions before we book...

Yeah there is absolutely nothing wrong whatsoever with the buffets

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
177 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a few questions before we book...

Thank you for your replies. I have actually just emailed Jai from Travel Lab about Select All Inclusive and for 14 nights it would be an extra £485 for 2 people - what do people think of this?

We don't think this is too much - however our only worry is that we will be asking for this honeymoon through a gift registry as a wedding present- so it just depends on how generous people are as to how much money we have! we have budgeted that we will have to pay a fair bit of the honeymoon on top of the kind contributions people will give - but don't know whether to risk select AI too in advance, as we were hoping to just add this on if we had enough when we were there. But it seems the prices are significantly cheaper when booking in advance!

Even though we are not massive foodies - the reviews, etc. are just too tempting for select - we just can't decide!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
177 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a few questions before we book...

Oh and we have the seaplane transfer included with Travel Lab if that's who we go with.

Is snorkeling equipment not good from Kuramathi? (Included in AI?)

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a few questions before we book...

You would be advised to take your own snorkellingequipment rather than relying on that offered by the island, even if it is included in the AI. You will spend a lot of time snorkelling, there is no guarantee that the equipment stocked will fit you and there is nothing worse than snorkelling with an ill fitting, leaking mask or fins that are either too large (blisters) or too small (cramps). Visit a dive shop and get expert advise on a properly fitting mask and fins, don't be tempted to buy without trying on first.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a few questions before we book...

£485 for 2 for 2 weeks - absolute bargain. Thats only £17 a day each more!!!!. Considering you can have breakfast in the island coffee shop, lunch in the Palm, a choice of 7 restaurants in the evening, wine by the bottle, its a no brainer. You could take a bottle of wine back to your room as well which alone would more than make it worth your while when an average bottle of wine would be $60-$80 to buy. We were signing for our evening meals at Kuramathi and they were all over $200 (just for dinner). You cant beat sitting down, looking at a menu, ordering a bottle of wine and getting your courses served. I mean, how many times do you go out for dinner at home in a nice restaurant and go to a buffet (as i said, nowt wrong with the buffet but the a la carte experience is just so much better, and if it is there, grab it with both hands)

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,186 Reviews
Kuramathi
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi
Recent Conversations