We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaplane Luggage

Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Seaplane Luggage

Hi All

We are staying at Kuramathi in May for our honeymoon and will be using the seaplane for our outbound journey. I understand that the luggage allowance is 20kg hold & 5kg hand luggage irrespective of your allowance on your international flight. This is not a problem as let's face it how much luggage do you actually need, however I read on a previous thread that if your hand luggage has wheels then it is counted as hold luggage. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? My hand luggage is a cabin bag with wheels so wanted to clarify.

Thanks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Hi there,

Not been yet but off in three weeks and I think, although others correct me if I'm wrong, you and your other half will have all of your luggage weighed together and provided it is sub the 50kg allowance, then I don't believe it makes a difference what shape it is. It will def need to go in the hold but I'm sure you could keep a camera and bottle of water on you for the actual short flight. I think quite a few people end up having largish bags put in the 'hold' even though they may only be a rucksack - there's not a huge amount of room once in your seat. Hope I'm not giving bad advice here!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Yes, they count everything together, hand + hold, allowance are shared by the people travel altogether.

However, beaware that their weight could be tricky, we only have hold luggages, we weighted them as 50kg (3 luggages) when checking in at international flight counter, the same 3 luggages became 63 kg when we weight at the seaplane counter, we ended up pay for USD 52 for the excess weight (usd4 per kg).

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Yes - any wheeled hand luggage will travel in the hold. Actually all this means is that it will travel at the back of the plane with the rest of the luggage.

Make sure to keep your camera and/or essentials in a small bag that you can happily sit with on your lap as seating space is limited and storage space for hand luggage is non existent.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Your suitcases are taken from you when you check in for the seaplane when you exit the airport. They will be stowed at the back of the seaplane.

You are then taken by bus to wait at the seaplane terminal.

Just as you get on the seaplane they take your hand luggage off you (except a small handbag etc) and these go at the back with the cases.

If you have a wheeled hand luggage then chances are that they will take it from you with your suitcases at check in so you need to be prepared - currently it's not uncommon to have 2-3 hours waiting for the seaplane if you are unlucky.

Level Contributor
246 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Thanks all. It is not a problem for my hand luggage to be taken from me - I am prepared for that & realise the reasons why. I was more concerned that my hand luggage would be included in my 20kg hold luggage allowance because it had wheels.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaplane Luggage

No, they just weigh everything together and allow you a total of 50kg per couple. Over that, they may charge you.

Edited: 05 January 2014, 09:25
NORWICH
Level Contributor
206 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaplane Luggage

There is no hold as such in the seaplane the luggage is just stored at the rear, depending on how many of you are travelling on the seaplane your luggage may go by boat so pack a few essentials like swimwear in your hand luggage just in case. This has never happened to us before but kuramathi is a large island so they might do this, maybe others who have been can advise you if it has happened to them

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaplane Luggage

The main point is that I for one would not want to sit in the seaplane terminal for possibly hours without my hand luggage and the goodies therein. If its wheeled it will probably get taken off you at the seaplane check in in the main terminal. I have a wheeled rucksack with a cover that folds over hiding the wheels so best of both worlds

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,394 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaplane Luggage

Will they let you keep your hand luggage with you on the sea plane? I'm not worried about mine but hubby is taking his laptop with him & wouldn't really want that in the hold? I appreciate that he will probably have to have it on his lap though.

Thank you x

NORWICH
Level Contributor
206 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaplane Luggage

There isn't much space in the sea plane so you probably wouldn't want anything to large on your lap, you will be able to see your hand luggage at the rear though so any lap tops will be fine there