We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Hi all,

We're going to Kuramathi is less and 4 weeks and cannot wait. I want to make sure we tip the staff appropriately whilst we are there and so will need to purchase some low denomination US$ bills. Does anyone know of anywhere online or on the high street where you can buy US$ in $1 and $5 bills? Whenever I have bought $s before you can generally ask for some lower denominations but the majority of bills are given in $20 notes (fine for the room boy but not for each and every waiter and bar man who serves us). Alternatively, does anyone know whether the Foreign Exchange at Kuramathi is happy to break $20 bills into smaller notes or whether £UK is an acceptable tipping currency?

Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

Lucy

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,223 Reviews
Kuramathi
Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Always get mine from post office, they've always had a stock of 1s and 5s when I've been in and will sell me whatever mix I want!

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,887 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

generally , you can get any amount in any denomination you ask for if you give your bank a couple of days advance warning . just let them know exactly what you want, i.e. 500 in 1's and 200 in 5's , etc and it will happen from any bank

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,344 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

I usually don't have a problem getting small notes from the post office or tesco (the big one near us has a bureau de change in store).

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Thanks everyone. I'll brave the queues in the Post Office and order them in if necessary. I usually buy online but cannot find anywhere that allows you to choose the bills you want.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Normally get ours at M&S or Sainsburys and never had problems when asking for loads of small denominations.

lancashire
Level Contributor
756 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

M&S here , in store or on line .

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

You normally have to order low demonination

Carpenders Park
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

We normally get our supply of dollar bills an M&S with no problems or pre ordering

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Must investigate M & S then as normally if i ask for $200 in ones and fives I get strange looks and a no way reply unless you order

Surrey
Level Contributor
162 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping and buying low denomination US$

Why not order it online from the postoffice and have it delivered to your local branch?

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/foreign-currency

Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi