We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anorak question

east sussex
Level Contributor
508 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
anorak question

my husband and I are going to kuramathi in November and I know this is a random question but my hubby has found a new hobby of metal detecting and would love to take it with him while I lay on my sunbed with a cocktail or two !!! I sure theres strict rules about this but was just wondering has this ever been asked ???/

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anorak question

Never been asked... As a fellow tweaker, the maldives isn't the place to go tweaking!!!!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anorak question

And as for rules ..... Pretty sure the Maldivians don't know what a discriminating metal detector is

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,284 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anorak question

you would have to ask kuramathi for rules .. since you will be entirely on private property .. so its pretty obvious that nothing he would find is for keeps . I cant really imagine the hotel will want someone wandering around sunbathers beeping at their watches and cellphones . if I was a quiet seeking sunbather , i'd be rolling my eyes for sure.

hubby is also risking having his luggage taken apart by security/customs of course (being that it likely looks to them like a strictly illegal spear gun) .. resulting in stress and delays and potential for a missed seaplane or speedboat.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 21:21
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,349 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anorak question

Surely there is nothing to find on a desert island with no history ?

Its a nice hobby but I can see other people getting annoyed with it . The Maldives offers great snorkeling ;-)

Darryl

Edited: 08 June 2014, 22:00
east sussex
Level Contributor
508 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anorak question

thank you all for replies I think he will just take snorkel and flippers to be on safe side!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anorak question

Good plan, when you get there you will both see why it's not a goer,he's probably only ever going to find stuff previous guests have lost, ie an earring of something, and he can hardly start digging if the beeper does go off,,,no one would like that:-))

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
1,010 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anorak question

Imagine chilling outside your villa, enjoying the calm breeze and the sound of the waves. Then out of nowhere beep beep b b b b beepbeep and he starts digging a hole in front of you. Arrrrrgh feed him to the sharks.

east sussex
Level Contributor
508 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anorak question

kennyandrew he wouldn't have done it anywhere near anybody he wouldn't have wanted to disturb anyone , it was just a random question but if anyone had lost their £4000 ring he would be your man !!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anorak question

large emerald & gold earing - Barrier reef, That should keep him busy !!!!! ( PM me if found, Ta )

east sussex
Level Contributor
508 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anorak question

haha I could get a few more weeks holidays out of this