We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

seaplane return - luggage weight

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
seaplane return - luggage weight

Hi there.

Does anyone know if the luggage is weighed at the resort for your return to male via seaplane? I know they check the weights in Male when they print the boarding passes at the TMA check-in stands but not sure how it all works with your departure since there are no check-in stands. Asking because of the 20kg limit and need to know whether we need to rearrange suitcases accordingly. Thanks.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

I have seen a set of scales in the baggage room at Reethi.

Not sure what they would do about it if you were well overweight though as very often the seaplanes will stay overnight at resort for early departure in the morning.

They can't exactly add extra fuel at resort. Presumably return flights are flown well within maximum limits just in case overweight occurs.

John

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

Our luggage was weighed at Conrad las year, though I think it was more to control that there wouldn't be overweigh i the seaplane. But it was the first time, i had never had my luggage weighed before.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,570 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

I've never seen my luggage weighed for the return trip.

And, even when they weigh on the way out, they weigh all suitcases/bags per couple and total this up. So there's no point in rearranging the contents unless you have one case that is super heavy.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

It might happen somehow but never seen it. Your body will go back heavier but the combined weight of 2 cases are unlikely to return heavier is probably the experience of most travellers. You will have used up your bathroom consumables and sun tan lotions and there is naff all to buy on island unless you are mad to pay gift shop prices

Carpenders Park
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

They weighed ours when we left Centara last year but all was good. Just booked Kuramathi for October and can't wait.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

We saw ours being weighted at Athuruga, but no charges incurred. I think they just weigh it to calculate takeoff ratios or whatever they're called!

SL

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

Hi

Whether they weigh or not is irrelevant the excess is doubled on arrival to account for the the return journey. I've never seen it weighed on the the way back and in any case it's unlikely to have increased rather the opposite in fact as toiletries etc will have been used up

Regards

Doug

8. Re: seaplane return - luggage weight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi