We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mozzies

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,491 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
mozzies

is there a best time to go when u dont get eaten alive but these horrid creatures, ive read that even tho they spray the island its not working, and it is spoiling peoples holidays, are all islands the same or is this the worst one ?

we were looking to go in march next year

thanks in advanced for your replies

xx

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mozzies

Mosquitos thrive in warm wet weather so I would imagine that the dry season would be preferable.

I don't normally wear any repellent & usually get away with only a couple of bites & I didn't get bitten once at Reethi.

However, both visits to Kura I got at least ten bites and had to resort to repellent so I would say there's a problem there (it was particularly bad at the dive school on the lagoon when we went last).

That said, it should't ruin your holiday - just take a good repellent and plenty of one-a-day antihistamine - and make sure you don't scratch!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,895 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mozzies

Possibly due to the size of the island? Smaller ones may be more amenable to effective control by spraying. Never had problems with mozzies on Komandoo or Mirihi.

Tel
Great Yarmouth U.K
Level Contributor
659 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mozzies

We were on Kuramathi early April this year. Although some people were getting bites from the mozzies we stayed clear of bites. We used a repellant called incognito which we found online. This is a natural product and we purchased a spray and shower gel. Remember mozzies are attracted to perfumes and deodorants so it is best not to use these. You can buy deodorants with no fragrance which are fine. Don't be put off Kuramathi by stories of the man eating mozzies as they are not that bad and the island is fantastic. have a good trip.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mozzies

We have been to Kuramathi twice and never been bothered by mozzies, although there has been a lot of discussion on here about it this year and it may be possible they have changed their spraying policy. I did read on a review by another guest that they had been prescribed antihistamine on the island and this did the trick.

We are returning to Kuramathi next year and intend to take antihistamine.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mozzies

Kuramathi is no different to any other island where mossies are concerned. If you are unprepared, walk in the wrong areas, don't know basic precautions , and are pre disposed to be bitten, you will get bitten. I have list count of the number of holidays I have been on in mossie infested areas and never have more than 1 or 2 bites.

UK
Level Contributor
111 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: mozzies

We went to Kuramathi March this year and they totally ruined my holiday. We would sit out in the morning with our coffee and literally 2 mins later were totally swarmed and it carried on all day long. I couldn't sit and read it was so bad. We've been before at the same time of year and didn't notice them so it wasn't an issue. We was booked to go back in Oct but have cancelled and booked Athuruga. This will be our 10th time going to the Maldives and haven't had a problem on any other island.

Baldock, United...
Level Contributor
768 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mozzies

Totally agree with UKRuperty they totally ruined our holiday at Kuramathi. No Mozzies whatsoever on Athuruga.

8. Re: mozzies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kuramathi