We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritance Ahungalla reviews

South London
7 posts
Save Topic
Heritance Ahungalla reviews

I now have have 41 days to go before I travel to Sri Lanka to stay at the Heritance for 2 weeks... not that im counting....

But I am beginning to quietly panic over the reviews that have been coming in recently, all seeming to suggest the same.

I really do not want to think about changing hotels now, but at the same time, I dont want to get out there to be dissapointed.

I have been lucky in the past and spent alot of time travelling around the Caribbean with work, staying at different hotels. Now with the Caribbean, a 4 star hotel is not what youd expect from a 4 star in the UK or US and am hoping that these negative reviews have come from people expecting more...?

Can anyone give me assurance??

Karen

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Hi Karen....

Having read most recent reviews on HA, it would seem that the hotel goes from the most amazing place on earth to the worst !, this is actually quite similar to several hotels now in Sri Lanka..., some have fab reviews, and then followed by awful ones.

I cannot see how one person would rate it as "marvellous", then an another as awful, cannot possibly be both can it?.

There is an old adage/proverb/saying.. "you can please most of the people most of the time, but you cannot please everyone all of the time",

Personally i cannot see where the very bad ones come from, i have been many times to this hotel and have not seen things like these very bad ones are saying, and... will be back there in a few weeks time again, not that i am counting of course :-)...

Regards

Dave

South London
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Hi Dave,

Thank you I hope you have a lovely time !

Karen

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Hi Karen...

You too, might even clash, i could be there on October 6th ?

Regards

Dave

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Perhaps the issue here is that if you go to Sri Lanka expecting international five star standards in hotels you are going to be disappointed. However, you will be paying a quarter of the price of a room in such an establishment in Europe. I've visited and stayed at a large number of the top establishments in Sri Lanka and with one notable exception (Tea Trails, where incidentally you pay European style rates) none of them comes up to the standards that the best in the world can offer. This no longer bothers me in that I have different expectations of hotels in Sri Lanka and the same thing goes for public transport, service in shops banks and restaurants. I know I am paying far less for these services than I would do at home and should not, therefore, expect the same standards.

Of late, I have started to explore many more smaller, independently run properties, costing a fraction of the so called five stars and in most cases I have found that my expectations have been more than exceeded. They frequently have far more local character and that does not mean giving up on standards of cleanliness and comfort.

Where I would feel aggrieved is if I were paying European prices and not getting an equivalent level of service. Thus, if the much talked about price hikes for next season do come about, there is going to have to be an equivalent rise in standards. Nowhere becomes a world class destination simply by putting up prices.

I recognise most of the issues raised by reviewers with regard to the quality of rooms and service in hotels classed as five star but I no longer allow this to spoil my holiday. There are so many things to compensate for such shortcomings. As for the tipping and hawkers on the beaches, this is a problem generated by those who give into these pressures. If tourists didn't do so, it would fade away.

In conclusion, I would say that if you want true five star then you are unlikely to find it in Sri Lanka but you will not pay for it either. The country itself, however, has many five star attractions: the scenery, the flora and fauna, the heritage and culture and above all the real people of Sri Lanka. Just adjust your expectations a little and extend your horizons beyond the hotel gates with its throngs of hangers-on and you will not be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you want everywhere you go to be just like at home then, in my opinion, you'd be better of staying there.

David.

(Waiting to be shot down in flames!)

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,464 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Hi David....

I won't shoot you down in flames, i broadly agree with what you have said..., people do think that they are getting a bargain when they see Sri Lankan 4 & 5 star hotels advertised at seemingly very cheap rates compared to Europe, US and Middle East for example, when they don't compare then they tend to moan.., maybe as you say this will happen more in the future when rates in Sri Lankan hotels increase shortly, of course then people will probably resort to boutique hotels and guesthouses,but this will mean that they quickly get filled, and in turn they too will increase rates?

Notable perhaps in this field are tourists from India and Middle East countries,Dubai for instance, they expect a 5 star to be a 5 star anywhere and all of same quality, perhaps a good example would be to take a look at all the reveiws for the 3 Taj hotels in Sri Lanka, in no way do they match thier counterparts in India, so tend to get not so good reviews from Indian tourists..

Another similar question was recently asked about the Lighthouse Hotel in Galle, for many years got great ratings, not quite so good these days.

Perhaps ??, this was one of the reasons that the Indian & Sri Lankan cricket teams did not stay there at Galle while playing thier recent test match at Galle??, incidentally, where did they stay?, they stayed at Heritance Ahungalla ..... for 7 days each.

Regards

Dave

Colchester
Level Contributor
898 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

Thanks Dave. I too was wondering about the Lighthouse at Galle. I have not stayed for many years but when I did I thought it was very good indeed but lately it seems not to have such good reviews. Have not stayed at Ahungalla but Kandelama is one of my favourite places on Earth - very difficult to maintain, given its location, open structure and size but they do a pretty good job there and the setting makes you forget any minor faults. Just hope that in the future they do not price themselves at a point where I do start to take notice.

David.

7. Re: Heritance Ahungalla reviews

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2011, 07:28
Get answers to your questions about Ahungalla