We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Which Ahungalla hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Hi All

My partner and I are planning to stay at Heritance for a week at the start of November. I just wanted to ask - are there any places to eat near the hotel? How far is the hotel from the nearest town.. ? We are on bed and breakfast so would love to go out and sample the local cuisine.

Any recommendations for restaurants would be much appreciated as well!

Thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,072 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Hi there,

Hmmm... the kind of research you'd better have done BEFORE booking :-((

The answer is none at any close distance. Bentota, about 20 mins to the north by bus/tuktuk, is the closest place with a selection of tourist restaurants. Ahungalla town only has REAL local restaurants, dead cheap, but not suitable for tourists unless you have a VERY chilly-resistant mouth and even then are quite careful with hygien.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Hi Erik and Sandya

We haven't booked it yet - that's where we are thinking of going..

Thanks for the advice, very helpful. 20 min sounds doable, do you know if it easy to get a taxi back at night if we do go to Bentota ?

Thanks a lot!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,072 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Yes that's not a big issue. You could go out by bus and then back by tuktuk; getting a taxi needs some more organisation, when you approach the restaurant staff or a tuktuk driver generally they would have a four-wheeler there within 15 mins. But even after dark buses are relatively frequent as it's the main coastal road.

For that 15 km, going price for a tuktuk would be around Rs 500 and for a taxi Rs 1200 - but after dark prices could go up a bit.

All the best again,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Hi there...

Yep, around 20 minutes away in Bentota for some good restaurants, 2 of my favourites would include Aida, and Hotel Wunderbar, both good quality food, and at Wunderbar some good entertainment too..

You could go by bus, or just oreder a taxi or tuk tuk, and driver will wait and bring you back to HA, no need to worry about paying for his food, restaurants will give him some free.., at least the two i have mentioned will.

Bus stop is just outside hotel gates, by entrance to Police Station, on way back it is just opposite hotel..

Regards

Dave

Edited: 11 September 2011, 21:08
London
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Thanks Dave, very helpful!

I think we will go ahead and book Heritance then.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Hi again...

You will love it there, as a matter of interest, go into the Coffee Shop there at HA and order a Rice and Curry,a truly superb meal and freshly cooked to your own specifications, the Cashew Nut one is simply scrummy :-)

Regards

Dave

Co Durham
Level Contributor
332 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Diya Sisila is a must visit, an easy tuk tuk journey away. Remember to ring and book before you go. I'd recommend the prawn andpineapple curry.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

there is a floating restaurant called gangabada asiriya hotel (as u take the first right along the road heading south.

http://www.gangabadaasiriya1.blogspot.com/

you could also take a boatride on the maduganga.here is a trip report

…lakdasun.org/scenic-boat-safari-in-madu-gan…

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

I would ba'ck up Dave for the Curries at the Coffee shop.

When we went last month we ate at the sunshine restaurant which is on the end of the beach. It is quite shack like as was destroyed in the tsunami. The hygiene may not be great but the 9 of us that ate there were never ill and the sea food platter for 2 is wonderful.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
80 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heritance Ahungalla - places to eat nearby?

Diya Sisila is not worth a visit, the food is at best average and the setting over rated, be warned

Get answers to your questions about Ahungalla
Recent Conversations