We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kitulgala Hotel

Dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kitulgala Hotel

Hey !

looking for accomodation in Kitulgala

A few Q

does adventure base camp have too many crawlies ??

or would it be worth staying at paradise farm all reviews for paradise farm seems more than a year old so wondering if its worth it

Thanks

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

Kitulgala has a lot of crawlies ... not just at Adventure Base Camp! It is right in the jungle, so it's hard to avoid them wherever you stay, although if they really worry you, go for one of the places like Kitulgala Resthouse which has about 4 air conditioned rooms. That keeps most of them out! However, the service and food was dire when we stayed there.

I've stayed at many of the accommodation options at Kitulgala, including Kitulgala Resthouse, Adventure Base Camp, Royal River Resort and Sirira's River Lounge and would be happy to describe any of these in detail if you are interested.

Most recently we were at Adventure Base Camp which is by FAR the cheapest of them and incredible value for money, with super friendly staff and breathtaking views over the river, but do expect a few visitors in your bedroom (as you will at Sisira's River Lounge also!)

Let me know if you want further details of any of them.

Sue

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

Hi,

We stayed at Adventure base camp in Sept/Oct. and will be back there again soon.

Contrary to Sue's experience, we saw very few creepy crawlies of any description. We expected lots of mozzies being in the jungle and on the river side but were surprised by how few there were.

The only thing we really noticed coming in the room regularly was a lovely little stripey squirrel

Perhaps it's a seasonal thing although I'd expect the conditions to be about the same there, all year around.

I guess we were just lucky last time but I'm certainly going back. The accommodation was very clean andn we felt very comfortable but it is basic.

Rod.

Dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

hey thanks Rod & Sue !

Your description of ABC has me completely sold on it !

Probably just carry extra repellent

Would it be best to let my driver arrange the accom? or should I contact them ?

Thanks again for your help

Edited: 22 March 2010, 09:43
St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

Hi

Good for you. It would be my choice again in future too. We reserved our room by getting the guesthouse we were at the night before, to phone ABC for us, (which was Slightly Chilled Guesthouse at Adam's Peak. The owner there knew Yohan at ABC too. From your earlier posting, I know you are considering staying there aswell.)

With regard to the bugs and beasties at ABC, they did not bother us at night, as we were well tucked up within our mosquito net. Honestly Rod, didn't you see many bugs?? There were large beetles/cockroaches if you lifted the mattress, hiding between the slats, a couple of very large spiders on the ceiling and endless large ants etc. Not many mosquitoes though, I must admit. We were told that the spiders here are NOT dangerous and once we knew that, we were not bothered by them. There's no way that the management can keep creepy crawlies out of the rooms, as there are large ventilation gaps where the walls meet the roof.

It IS basic. You need to know that. There was not even a fan in our room, so it was stiflingly hot when you went to bed, and the only bedding provided was a pillow, so you have to be happy with this. I would have liked a sheet, because even in the heat of this place, you wake up in the early hours feeling chilled without anything covering you. But it FEELS like a safe adventure being there. The views from the 2 rooms fronting the river are breathtaking. Yohan is a charming host, you can swim in the river at an enclosed area, they have BBQs beside the water and can arrange all sorts of adventurous activities. And the room cost us just Rs1500 for the two of us. Food was cheap and good too, unlike at the other places I've stayed at in Kitulgala. I'd go back again tomorrow if I could ....

For anyone unable to cope with the basics, it would be Royal River Resort that I'd recommend, as this place was charming and had good food and service too, and the upper rooms were pretty much bug free, although it's a few km from the village and river, so might be a little harder for anyone who didn't have their own driver.

Sue

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

Hi Sue,

Really, honestly, cross my heart and hope to die,

We were not inundated with bugs / spiders / cockroaches / slithery things / things that go bump in the night, of any sort.

I've no doubt that they are there but we really didn't see many.

All we had was the little squirell that came in through the ventilation gap and he just sat at the top of the room chattering to us. I assume it was all in squirell Sinhala , as I didn't understand very much of what he was saying but he was friendly.

I allways carry a sarong which is my standard wear except when I;'m travelling and that doubles up as a sheet / cover.

I must admit, I didn't look under the mattress .

Can't wait to get back there, go rafting again , find the rock slidesa bit downstream I've been told about that project you into the river and wander around in the forest.

Rod.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

A sarong! Why didn't I think of that? Clever. That's all you needed there, but we didn't have anything.

With regard to exploring the jungle on the other side of the river, Rod, have you accessed it from the area by the Kitulgala Resthouse? There's a little pedestrian ferry at this point .. a sort of dug out tree which you stand in as they punt across. You can then wander freely through the forest from that point, initially through a pretty little hamlet with hut like homes hidden amidst the greenery and interesting in itself. You are then out in the real jungle. There are still paths, but they can be confusing. One leads to a clearing with a paddy field, but mostly they just go to fairly dense jungle .. marvellous for birdwatchers. And another track leads you back to a small area of river with boulders and waterfalls. It's fantastic. Unlike at Sinharaja, you don't need to be accompanied by an official guide either, although that also has its drawbacks, as it would be easy to get lost here!

Rod.... have you room for me in your backpack? I know you don't carry much with you....

Sue X

UK
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

hello again Sue,

Thanks for the tip on the ferry crossing. I'll certainly search it out and try the other side of the river. I always carry a compass so at least I'll be able to find the river again.

Could you fit into my backpack ?.

Whats the weight limit with Sri Lankan ? My back pack usually weighs up at about 8 kilos so if you can get into what remains of the weight allowance, you'd be very, very welcome.

No promises about carrying you around the rest of Sri lanka though.

Talking about weight allowance, I have to pack sometime later today as I have a dentist appointment in the morning, then off to Kent for a day before logging in at Heathrow. Oh dear, so much to do and so little time.

Rod.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 13:25
8. Re: Kitulgala Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Kitulgala