We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hi everybody,

Can we do it all in 5 days(12thJuly to 16thJuly)? We are leaving on the 12th morn from Yala National Park by car to Kandy. Im very confused about the itinerary in this part of srilanka. What to do and what to leave out?

Should we stop at Ella for a night and do Little Adam's peak?

Horton plains or Knuckles range or both? Can they both be done from Kandy?

Will I still have time for the sights in Kandy? Siguriya and the Elephants orphanage?

Our flight back is from Colombo on 16th - very late night.

Can somebody please suggest an itinerary, we haven't a clue!

Thanks,

Anil

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hi Anil

I would definitely recommend a night in Ella overnight on the 12th. You will arrive here in plenty of time to have a stroll to Little Adam's Peak in the afternoon on that day.

On the 13th, you would head towards Kandy which, bearing in mind all the things you want to see and do, might well be your best option. You would not need a further stay at Nuwara Eliya.

I would choose between either Hortons Plains or the Knuckles. If you want to do Hortons Plains, do it with a very early start from Ella and before continuing to Kandy. If it is the Knuckles, maybe do that as a day tour with your driver from Kandy itself. That is what I did last time, rather than have a separate stay in the Knuckles area which I did on another occasion with more time.

Have your nights in Kandy on 13th and 14th July. See what you need to from there, including a trip to the elephant orphanage if you want to.

As you want to do Sigiriya, I would suggest going to that area for your final night, ie the 15th, climbing Sigiriya early the next morning and then leaving the area later in the afternoon sometime for the journey back to the airport. It is around a 3.5 - possibly 4 hour drive to the airport from Sigiriya.

Any good?!

All the best

Sue

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hey Sue,

Thanks for the super helpful reply! Its just what I needed. I think I will do Horton plains early morn and Knuckles by car.

So you're saying go to Sigiriya the night before and head to the aiport from there. I guess that makes sense since its closer to it than Kandy.

So great! I'm finally all sorted.

Thanks again,

Anil

Gokaralla
Level Contributor
139 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Anil,

Kandy is closer than Sigiriya. But it is worth to see the beauty of that place. Dambulla also very close to Seegiriya. On the way U can visit Aluwihara, Matale & Herbal Gardens.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hi Anil

It doesn't take a lot longer to the airport from Sigiriya than from Kandy. You are talking another half hour to 45 minutes perhaps. It looks much further on the map but the road is reasonable and you make better progress on that one than from the busy Kandy - airport route during the day.

By staying at Sigiriya on your final night, you are also able to do the climb very early, avoiding the crowds and before the sun hits the rock. Starting the climb later means it can be unbearably hot. If you did Sigiriya in a day trip from a Kandy base, you would have a journey of 2.5+ hours each way, not allowing for the heavy traffic getting in and out of Kandy itself.

Ignore Abey's advice to visit "Herbal Gardens" as these are the notorious spice gardens which are little more than an overpriced tourist trap where you will be given the "hard sell" on products that are available in Kandy market etc. for much less. Matale as a town has nothing of particular interest to most tourists just passing through, but Dambulla is worth fitting in if you have time on the 15th as you would pass it on the journey from Kandy to Sigiriya overnight. It depends how long you spend on other things during your time around Kandy and how long you take to see the Knuckles.

As you've also indicated that you want to see the Knuckles by car, I would do this as an extended route to Sigiriya from Kandy, as you could visit Mini World's End at Pitawala Pathana, Babarakiri waterfall and Riverston peak en route. Once again, it means you avoid doing the trip there and back to Kandy in one day and makes full use of your journey to see things of interest along the way.

Have a wonderful time.

Sue

Edited: 04 April 2011, 08:33
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Thank you both for your replies. I'll try to keep it all in mind while finishing up my itinerary.:)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,409 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

I reckon that if you went to the airport for your onward journey after climbing Sigirya you'd definitely sleep all the way home. Of course, that's not necessarily a bad thing in itself.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hey travelkat,

Do you think then this day would be too much?

1. Start early Saturday 16th morn , do the climb to the Siguriya Rock.

2. Head out in the afternoon to the Elephant orphanage Pinnawela.

3. Head on to the Colombo airport for a late night flight back.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,517 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

You could definitely do this if you wanted to, especially as you would need to make it an early start at Sigiriya anyway. You would be finished at Sigirya by mid to late morning and the stop at Pinnawela elephant orphanage would be a good way to break the journey back. As your flight is not until late at night, you have plenty of time.

Sue

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Great thanks!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
48 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kandy/Nuwara Eliya/Ella 5 days??!

Hi Susie,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input towards our itinerary. We just got back from an absolutely awesome vacation in Srilanka!

It all worked out just perfect thanks to you destination experts!

Anil