We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
329 reviews
Save Topic
What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

I just returned from Nuwara Eliya were I stayed at the Hill Club and visited the Tea Factory Hotel for the day. While chatting to staff, I was told that some tourists specially from Dubai try to take in ovens, hot plates to cook their own meals in the rooms at places such at the Tea Factory Hotel! They try to take in provisions as well. The staff at the hotel search their possessions and refuse access to such equipment, resulting in heated arguments.

Some tourists add tea leaves to the coffee maker/ kettle and pour the tea leaves down the sink clogging it!

One outside guest had tried to go up to the rooms without permission and when told politely to desist, he had raised his hand at the staff member.

Just wanted to post these few comments so that tourists know what to expect when they arrive and can behave accordingly with respect towards staff at hotels.

kent
Level Contributor
184 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

I think you may find westernersand many other are not like that, the probably take then as they do not think thye will liek their food. Love to know how they got on with luggage allowance with that little lot!

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

Yes, and some local families also have been known to take thier own cooking utensils too, as well as what seems a weeks worth of laundry too :-)

Room attendants dread this, as there is always LOTS of mess to clear up afterwards :-)

Regards

Dave

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,538 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

Good information gathering would help a lot! The Dubai tourists probably are out to make their own Halal food, whilst almost _any_ Lankan hotel - including Tea Factory - on request can supply Halal food in their restaurant. After all any Lankan town of some size has a muslim population and a Halal butchery...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo
Level Contributor
1,379 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

I dont think they are worried about whether its Halal but more about cost! I suggested (in jest) that they convert the line rooms into suitable accommodation for such tourists who prefer more "rustic" facilities! :-)

Nuwara Eliya, Sri...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

yes most of the Arabian Guest are very stubborn and they expecting more than what there are paying. you are correct even our hotel had the same experience. and also they booked for three four days and stay only one or two and wanted refund for other days..if could not give they complain and act disgracefully.

6. Re: What you cannot take into a hotel in SL

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2013, 05:16