We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

Which Nuwara Eliya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
1 post
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

We've got most of our Sri Lanka trip figured out but we're stuck as to how to get from Nuwara to Galle.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to take a bus. I don't think there are any trains. My partner suggested we train back to Colombo and take the train down to Galle. I understand the fastest way is to drive (5-6 hours is that about right?).

Problem is can't seem to find any drivers...does anyone have a recommendation, we only need to go one way. Or can we easily find one once we get to Nuwara? I would be a lot more comfortable to having a confirmed driver. Also a recommended price range would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,311 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

Hi there,

Easy to find one in Eliya, that's the rule of thumb for one-way transfers.

Route Eliya-Haputale-Ratnapura-Panadura (Expressway) - Galle/U'tuna seems best. Looks like 6-7 hours, we did lower Haputale (Beragala) to Galle in 4.5 hours last fall but from Eliya to there is 1.5 hours at least. Distance 250 km along this route, which means price is around Rs 17,000 + Rs 450 Expressway toll.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

The shortest way will take approx. 5-6 hours and cost approx. LKR 18,000-19,000. The most scenic route via the south coast will take approx. 8-9 hours and cost approx. LKR 22,000.

There are always plenty of drivers waiting for hires in the centre of Nuwara Eliya.

Hans

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

The route in reply # 1 is approx. 285 km.

Shortest route is via Hatton and Avissawella.

Hans

Nuwara Eliya, Sri...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

Please try with lientours@yahoo.com....They will give you good price...

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

we want to go the opposite direction-frin nurussa ti eliya, we would like to go to world's end. what is the shortest route?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,311 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

Well your first problem is timing. It's generally useless to visit World's End when entering the park after 7 AM; as you'd arrive in afternoon better not go to WE then but early next morning.

As written above, shortest route apparently is Avissawella-Hatton but most beautiful and still relatively short route is Ratnapura-Haputale.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

7. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 May 2013, 08:35
Edited: 31 May 2013, 08:35
Algiers, Algeria
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

i asked the same quiz here few months ago and i got lot of PM regarding a good drivers..i have chosen one of them and he is a very good driver. and also a reasonable price they have given me..i had a personal inspection before i select them abt every agent..even though they are not very popular they were very good and i got the service what i expect within my budget.. so i will PM his contact to you....

Regards,

Jeffrey

Karachi
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

My family and I plan a trip to Sri Lanka ending June 2013. We were having trouble finding transportation with driver and guide to take us from Colombo to Kandy, and then Kany to Nuwera Eliya. Can anyone help with numbers and contacts???

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver from Nuwara Eliya to Galle/Unawatuna

Dear Cordelia,

I will pass you our driver/guide email and contact number through PM asked him whether he is available or not.

cheers