We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Hill Club

Which Nuwara Eliya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
The Hill Club

I have booked to stay at the Hill Club for 1 night March next year with my daughter. I originally thought it would be a unique experience but I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts after reading more reviews. I'm staring to get the impression that as we are 2 females travelling without a male we would be better to stay somewhere else. It seems to be very male orientated. Will we get good service in the forum dining room? There is a dress code for men but no mention of what females are expected to wear, can any body advise on what the dress code is for woman.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
4,688 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Hill Club

Service should be fine, although I've too seen the bad reviews. But they are probably more about the musty rooms (as it is with the majority of places in nuwera eliya).

Females are expected to wear a formal evening dress.

The Grand Hotel - just up the road from the hill club - is another option. The lobby and garden looked great last time i dropped in, but I'm not sure if the rooms have been refurbished. They also have a few common areas to lounge about.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Hill Club

Thank you for the reply. When you say formal evening dress does it have to be a long dress to the floor?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
31 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Hill Club

Hi,

They do have a Casual Dining Room and a Casual Bar if you do not wish to follow their dress code.

Best rgds

singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Hill Club

If you need female service i can recommend Tea Bush-Hotel Nuwara Eliya..They have more female staff there.

Regards,

Ivan

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Hill Club

What exactly is the dress code for men?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,667 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Hill Club

Jacket and tie. They have a limited number of ties on loan, and possibly also some jackets though not necessarily in Western size.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Glossop, United...
Level Contributor
367 posts
496 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Hill Club

thanks,. so you need a 'proper' shirt? what about shoes? and would I get away with black jeans?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,667 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Hill Club

Hi again,

Yes a Hawaii shirt would not really match with the jacket would it? As long as shoes are closed they're fine, trainers allowed (and black jeans too).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS More lighthearted: post #5 in this thread

tripadvisor.com/…40665037

shows their choices ;-)

Edited: 02 March 2015, 21:06
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Hill Club

We have now returned home from Sri Lanka. (I posted the original post). We had an enjoyable experience in the formal dining room though I must say the food is not great. My daughter and I made an effort to get dressed up but there didn't seem to be an enforced dress code for woman. There were some woman dressed very casually. Men do need to wear a jacket and tie. The night we were there all the men in the room had jackets on that belonged to the hotel. It was very obvious as most of them were the same as the waiters and fitted badly. Any shirt would be OK as long as it has a collar and you can wear a tie with it. It was actually a bit humorous, I felt a bit like we where at a fancy dress party. The staff were great. The hotel is run down but it has a lot of character. It was overall an enjoyable experience and I would recommend it to anybody going to Sri Lanka. The Grand Hotel next door is a more upmarket option but a lot more expensive .

10. Re: The Hill Club

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2016, 05:17