We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first trip to Hot Springs

Shawnee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
first trip to Hot Springs

Does anyone know if The Winery at Hot Springs charges a fee for their tastings? The info says a free tour with the "opportunity" to taste different wines afterwards. We would probably buy some wine but don't want to pay a charge first. I note that it is operated by the company that operates several other tourist attractions. Also, the convention center has a photography exhibit we are interested in seeing. Do they charge an admission fee? Thanks for your help. Trying to plan our weekend on a budget.

Little Rock...
Destination Expert
for Little Rock
Level Contributor
341 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

Arkansas law permits wine shops to offer their customers free wine tasting. Most shops, that have extensive wine selections, will have a tasting area. Looking at The Winery's products I see that with one exception all their products are sweet. If you're more interested in dry wine you might check out some of the better stores in Hot Springs for tasting those.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

Thanks for the suggestion. We're more wine novices interested in the experience but will take a look at the stores.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

The Winery of Hot Springs is a new attraction. It is really not a "winery" per se. It offers a small museum where you can take a free self-guided tour. There is no admission charge. You can also purchase Arkansas wines by the glass or bottle. They also offer at no charge, a limited number of wines for free tastings. So, you go to the Winery, pay no admission, tour the small exhibits, ask for a tasting of the day at no charge, then if you wish, purchase a glass of wine to drink there or a bottle to take home. Though the previous poster is correct that many of the Arkansas wines are on the sweet side, there really is now quite a diversity in the grapes. They have come a long way in offering different tastes to suit many people. If you are interested in local wines, I recommend you try this new attraction. Let us all know your impressions of it.

As to the photo exhibit at the convention center. I am pretty sure you refer to the extensive permanent art exhibit which is in all the public spaces of the convention center. These spaces go on and on for three or four blocks and go upstairs where there are more hallways and artwork. They have a nice collection of art which includes large photos of old Hot Springs. It is open to the public at no charge. If there is a convention underway, it may be very crowded and confusing. If not, the public spaces will be easy to tour.

Shawnee, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

Thank you JimJade3. I've read several of your forum posts also and the information you provided has been very helpful in planning our weekend. Wish we could stay longer.

Henderson, NV and...
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

Went to "The Winery" today. The tour is a joke... Look at a video and a few pictures in the back room. They charge for tastings, $3 for 8 tastings. I think this was the smallest amount of wine ever poured at a tasting. It wasn't much at all. I think all 8 pours did not total a half a glass. The wines are very sweet and are more after dinner wines. Not worth the time, nor money. It is a large gift shop.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

Thank you for your report on the Hot Springs winery. This will help us better advise other visitors.

7. Re: first trip to Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2011, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs
Recent Conversations