We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best places to eat?

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
296 reviews
Save Topic
Best places to eat?

We are heading to Hot Springs the last weekend of October. What are some places that you would recommend? We'd rather eat local than franchises. We're not into fancy restaurants or Thai/Indian food. Even though a small breakfast is included at our hotel, we will probably want to eat out one morning so a breakfast recommendation would be great also.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best places to eat?

There are lots of good restaurants in Hot Springs depending on what foods you might like. Among our favorites: Rolando's Restaurante (downtown) and if you get a chance to drive up route 7 to Hot Springs Village, try the Home Plate Café (stay on route 7 even though it looks like you're leaving the town) - they are awesome! For breakfast you could try the English Muffin (Central Ave, near the lake)

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best places to eat?

Dining reviews are all over the map in Hot Springs. One person’s dream place is the next person’s nightmare!

I like Cafe 1217 for lunch. www.cafe1217.net I think it has really good food and amazing home made desserts. Lots of salads and healthy type items on the menu. Watch carefully what you order and ask them the costs of each item. (you order in line at a food case and prices are sometimes hard to understand ).

If you like barbeque, there is McCLard’s - Pres Clinton’s fav.

There is also Whole Hog. Technically it started in Little Rock and opened a newer place in HS, but to me it is all about Arkansas. Started by a bunch of locals that won every BBQ contest! 4332 Central Ave. Hot Springs, AR 71913. 501-520-5227. http://www.wholehogcafe.com/.

The Pancake Shop for breakfast is HS institution. I think it is kind of a fun old place. www.pancakeshop.com

Here is a place I like: (Belle Arti) ...but others think it is too pricey etc. I get a basic spaghetti Pomodoro and they give you free bread and tampenade which is awesome, so I get out pretty reasonably and I love it!!. www.belleartigroup.com

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best places to eat?

Thank you for your suggestions! The Home Plate Café sounds like a good comfort food type of place that we just may drive up to and try. I've read about café1217 in a magazine somewhere. I'd like to try it but it sounds like more of a place that my ladies lunch group would enjoy. I don't think that my husband would. I also forgot to mention that we're not much of Italian food eaters either.

Any others?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best places to eat?

Rolando's is Cuban/Latin food. Grampa's Catfish is usually pretty good. I agree that Whole Hog & McClard's is great BBQ but you probably get enough of that in TX. Your best bet might be to ask the hotel staff what they recommend for your particular taste.

Believe me, Home Plate is worth the drive! Not sure if they have a day they're closed, so check before you go.

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best places to eat?

Yes we do eat a lot of BBQ here so that would not be one of my first choices to eat. My sister told me about a restaurant down by the lake a couple of months ago that they really liked. It served breakfast besides lunch and dinner and was not far from where the boat that has a dinner on the lake berths. Does that ring a bell to anyone?

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best places to eat?

Sounds like Gilligan's - we've never ate there but if your sis liked it, that's a better review than I could give you!

Benton, La
Level Contributor
60 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best places to eat?

Gilligans is awesome for breakfast...when we visit HS, if we go out of the hotel for breakfast, it is Gilligans every time!

Never been there for lunch or dinner...

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best places to eat?

Gillian's has decent breakfast but the slowest service in town. If you insist on going, try ro sit by the window. At least youl will have a nice view while you wait. The Pancake House is awesome IMHO. I go for the french toast. Cafe 1217 is where you want to eat lunch.

Rockwall, TX
Level Contributor
159 posts
296 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best places to eat?

Thanks! One more week and I'm out of here!

Branson, Missouri
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best places to eat?

Very few...find a local...I live there and love the people and did love the spring water up until gov shutdown...our dog will not drink it now and that is what this "Once upon a time..." great place was built around. Such a shame the springs are owned by this government. Healing waters no more...very sad. Thank God for the beautiful gifts bestowed upon this area....hiking and rock hunting is awesome. Again, find a local.

Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs
Recent Conversations