We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best parks to visit

Which Hot Springs hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Best parks to visit

Staying in Hot Springs. Which state parks(s) would you visit if you only have a few hours? Pretty drives, short hikes, etc. it's so gorgeous here. I don't think we could make a wrong choice, but would love suggestions.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best parks to visit

Petit Jean State Park is the perfect place for beautiful hikes and it is a great drive over non-interstate roads to the mountain. Probably 70 miles. www.petitjeanstatepark.com

Lake Catherine State Park is much closer and they have some short trails which are fine. There is a waterfall at one trail. Check to see if the rainfall has been sufficient to see flow. www.arkansasstateparks.com/lakecatherine

The Lake Ouachita Vista trail is supposed to be nice but I have not tried it. lakeouachitavistatrail.com

Garvan Gardens is not a state park but always fun for short walks. I believe they close soon for a winter break. www.garvangardens.org

Most of the HS National Park trails are sort of urban trails. The promenade walk behind the bath houses is very beautiful but not exactly a "hike."

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
103 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best parks to visit

I second Petit Jean State Park. It is my favorite state park in the state of Arkansas, and among my favorite state parks that I've been to in the U.S. It has beautiful scenery including a canyon that runs through the mountain and an incredible waterfall. There are historic CCC structures including the lodge, cabins, and a stone bridge. Hiking trails range from easy to strenuous, and range from short to several miles. The area is geologically and archaeologically interesting as well. There are several bluff shelters where you can see Native American rock art. The largest is called Rock House Cave and is the easiest to get to.

Also, the drive from Hot Springs to Petit Jean takes you through the Ouachita National Forest on Scenic Route 7. It's a beautiful drive through the mountains.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,855 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best parks to visit

There are wonderful scenic hiking opportunities without leaving Hot Springs. Here's a great link for hiking trails with details on difficulty:

www.hot.springs.national-park.com/hike.htm

It's hard to pick one park in Hot Springs because they're all beautiful. If you've never taken the trip up the mountain tower, you should do it once just for the view. Hot Springs Mountain & West Mountain are great drives and we love to walk around at Gulpha Gorge. Like you said, really can't go wrong here.

4. Re: Best parks to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2014, 06:18