We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mom/daughter trip

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mom/daughter trip

My daughter and I are coming to hot springs and I've narrowed it down to Little Missouri Falls, zipline tour through Ouchita Bend Adventures and then a hot springs soak.

Does this sound like a good trip? Also has anyone gone to the falls? Do the bathhouses use the natural hot springs water or is it just tap water?

Lastly, any recommendations on the best place to eat dinner.

Thanks so much:)

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mom/daughter trip

Sounds like a nice trip. I have been to the nearby Albert Pike Recreation Area but unfortunately I have never made it to the falls. This is a beautiful and remote area which should be great to visit. It is definitely the boondocks - don't expect any amenities, restaurants etc nearby!! Also, check rainfall in the area. Most waterfalls in Arkansas become less interesting in the dryest times of the year. At the same time, be cautious and heed all warnings if you plan to camp in the area. These mountain rivers rise quickly with even upstream rain, and can be dangerous for nearby campers. How old is your daughter? The zipline and bath houses have age restrictions which you probably have checked out. The three major bath houses in Hot Springs, Quapaw, Buckstaff and the Arlington, definitely use the underground spring water piped to their tubs. They are licensed and inspected by the Department of Interior/National Park Services, though they are privately run. Other businesses listed as "spas" will not have the natural hot water piped in. Other attractions in the area I would recommend, depending on your interests, would be Garvan Gardens and Mid-America Museum. The former is attractive to all ages, and the latter is really oriented towards kids who like science, but we always like it almost as much as do our kids. As far as restaurants, you probably need to describe what your favorite foods are and what you are looking for. There are a diverse group of restaurants in HS. I can promise you that everyone has their favorites in this town! ...And my favorites will have some visitors giving them only one star ratings, so there is not really a consensus! Several which I gravitate to personally are: Cafe1217, which some say ladies like the best!..it is a lunch place with a diverse menu and lots of nice home made dishes and desserts. Also Rolandos is a nice south of the border place right downtown; I like Belle-Arti Italian restaurant, also downtown in a historic building - it has real diverse reviews; I have had some great meals at Central Park Fusion; and for Sunday brunch, the old favorite Arlington Hotel all you can eat buffet in their historic dining room with piano music, is memorable, if highly caloric. Have a great trip.

quapawbaths.com

www.buckstaffbaths.com

www.arlingtonhotel.com

www.garvangardens.org

www.midamericamuseum.org

www.cafe1217.net

belleartihs.com

centralparkfusion.com

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mom/daughter trip

Thank you for your reply. My daughter is 13 going on 20:). She prefers nature vs man made so I'm trying to pick things that are natural.

As for the restaurant, I just wanted something that different than the average popular chain restaurants that we have at home. The cafe and the historic restaurant that you mentioned sounds neat.

Thanks for the information on the hot springs bath houses I'm going to investigate and pick one of those!

So excited!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mom/daughter trip

Another idea if you and your kid don't mind getting dirty (real dirty) would be to go crystal mining. The HS area is one of the few places in the country which offers the public a chance, for a reasonable fee, to go on private property and dig for beautiful quartz crystals. You always find some and youalways get clay stains on your clothing! The age limit of some or all the bath houses is 14 or older but if your daughter looks older....well, you may know how to handle that! If all else fails, I usually don't recommend staying at the Arlington Hotel as the reviews for the rooms have gone way downhill, but they offer a few "mineral water rooms" where the actual underground hot water springs are piped into the bath tubs in the special rooms. The color of the bath tub water accordingly is a kind of light blue. Have a great trip!

www.wegnercrystalmines.com

www.colemanquartz.com

www.jimcolemancrystals.com

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mom/daughter trip

What are the rooms in the Arlington like now? I've heard seedy run down crumbling and I've heard they're nice. We're going up for our 20th wedding anniversary soon. I want to hike the mountain trail and eat lots of good food!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mom/daughter trip

I hate to run down a place which I have loved since I was a kid... but read the reviews. They sound like something out of a Jack Nicholson movie. I still recommend a visit to the the historic and lively lobby bar and the Sunday buffet with live piano music, and large buffet in the historic dining room. But the rooms are like shooting dice. The investment has just not been made by the owner. You may have a fun suite in reasonably good shape or you could get something else. The City or the State should take the place over. The owner is the same who owned the Majestic Hotel, which lay abandoned then burned. Well he had sold it, but still, there is a serious problem here. We stayed there for many years for work and play but the coinventions now go elsewhere and so do we.

6. Re: Mom/daughter trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Hot Springs
Recent Conversations